deb sheeps

But there's darkness behind those eyes

Even when you smile - Conan Gray

Stella

Our first day in Cousins Beach was as uneventful as I expected it to be. They do the Belly Flop, we carry luggage to our rooms, Jeremiah and Belly go to the beach, Laurel and Susannah gossip. My siblings love this place, and I do too in a way, but it's not the same.

For me, life is what happens before summer. The things that matter don't happen here. I love Belly and Steven, but Cousins is the same day repeated over and over again.

When I'm with my dad on tour, life is hectic. The Six are terrible at planning, so we often have to run to make it to the show on time. We laugh. We sing. We eat from the weirdest places we can find. We do dumb shit. Freddie runs away and poor uncle Graham has to chase him around. Daisy and I talk about writing and singing. Eddie spends hours with me and our guitars, just having a good time. Warren too, he has been teaching me how to play the drums since freshman year. Aunt Karen makes us go to the beach, the mountains, or the desert depending on where we are. Mom and Julia meet us too. My life is fun. I don't need a break from it.

- Steven, if you look at that phone one more time I'm putting it on the screen basket. - Laurel snaps as I walk back into the dining room.

I was talking to dad John. He very subtly asked me how Laurel is doing and 3 minutes later said he's coming for the 4th of July with his new girlfriend.

- We wanna see your beautiful faces. - Susannah adds sweetly, as usual the sunshine to Laurel's midnight rain. - Can dinner be a screen free zone? You know, like the old days.

I take my seat next to Belly while Laurel giggles. These two have been friends for so long, it's crazy. There's this adorable picture of them as teenagers framed in the living room. Conrad once said he thought they could read each other's minds when he was a kid.

- Steven! - Jeremiah takes the lead when my brother keeps his eyes on the screen, pulling the phone away from his hand and throwing it on a chair like it's a basketball. - Boom! Nailed it.

Laughter erupts on the table and Jeremiah makes a reverence before sitting back down.

- Ok, ok, we get it. - Steven's voice has a hint of irritation to it, but it won't last more than a minute. - You've been working out. You're hot. Get over it.

Belly gasps, which makes Laurel break a smile. Susannah too. The only person at the table who doesn't look happy is Conrad.

- You're just jealous because Jere has a better body than you.

I choke on water. I'm not sure if it's the shock that Belly's talking about Jeremiah's body in any way or if it's the offended look on Steven's face. Coughs reverberate from my body for what feels like forever and Laurel reaches over to tap my back.

- Great, Belly. - Steven points to me dramatically. - Your thirsty ass almost killed our sister. - I manage to stop coughing while Belly gives him the finger. - Besides, it's all about the lean look right now. Otherwise you can't wear tailored suits.

Almost everyone at the table laughs. Almost.

- Tailored suits. - Conrad nods, the fakest smile I've ever seen plastered on his face.

- Hey, when are you leaving for training camp? - Steven turns to him, and that fake ass smile immediately drops. The entire table goes silent.