CHAPTER 40

Suddenly, the space between Alpha Collins and me seems to shrink, his face appearing closer than it was just a moment ago. My eyes widen in surprise and a flicker of panic. What is he trying to do? Just then, a gust of wind blows across the cliff as if nature itself is trying to knock some sense into me.

I shoot up to my feet abruptly. "I think I should leave. I'm feeling better. Thank you," I blurt out, needing to create some distance, both physical and emotional.

"No problem, let me walk you back," Alpha Collins offers, rising as well, his expression unreadable.

I don't protest as I realize I'm not quite sure of the way back to the hotel. But as we walk in tense silence, my mind races with a torrent of thoughts and emotions. What the hell was I thinking, letting myself get so close to him, both literally and figuratively? What if one of my pack members had seen that moment of vulnerability, of connection? I'm supposed to be the future Luna, for goddess' sake. I need to start acting like it.

The turmoil rages within me - confusion and guilt. By the time we reach the hotel lobby, I'm a raw bundle of nerves, my heart pounding in my chest.

Suddenly, Alpha Collins is spun around by an unseen force, a fist connecting with his face in a sickening crack. I gasp, shock and horror lancing through me as I take in the sight before me. "Alex!" I exclaim, my voice shaking.

"Don't you have any fucking shame? Trying to steal someone else's Luna?" Alex spits, venom dripping from his tone as he glares at Alpha Collins with unbridled fury.

Alpha Collins spits out a mouthful of blood, wiping the corner of his mouth before meeting Alex' gaze with equal rage. Their eyes blaze crimson, the wolves within them clawing to the surface, ready for battle.

"I'm not the one who asked you to betray your mate," Alpha Collins snarls, moving closer until their chests are nearly touching. "And because of that, it gives you no fucking right to call me shameless."

No, no, this is not good. Why the hell are they fighting, and in public, no less? The thought of them causing a scene, of their reputations as powerful Alphas and business tycoons being dragged through the mud, fills me with dread.

I force myself between them, turning to face Alex as I try to diffuse the volatile situation. "Let's go," I say firmly, grasping his hand in mine.

To my relief, he doesn't fight me, allowing me to lead him away. But I can feel Alpha Collins's intense gaze burning into my back with every step, and I refuse to turn around to meet those eyes that had looked at me with such tenderness just moments ago.

My mind is a whirlwind of confusion and conflicting emotions. Was Alpha Collins really going to fight Alex because of me? I can understand Alex' jealousy and his primal need to defend his mate, even if his love for me is lacking. But Alpha Collins...I can't begin to fathom his motivations, and that terrifies me more than anything.

"Is this how you abide by the contract? Walking around the resort like you guys were on your fucking honeymoon?" Alex snarls, his words cutting through my turbulent thoughts like a knife.