Chapter 25

Cooper POV

We had just ducked into the last stable we needed to search. I closed the door and kept my ear to it, trying to listen out for mom. If she caught us in here, we would be grounded forever. I glanced down and saw Lila doing the same.

Laura: "Cooper! Lila! Where are you!" Lila let out a small giggle. I quickly covered her mouth with my hand and pulled her body against mine to keep her from making any more noise.

"Lila! Lila, come on out now. I know you're in here." I could hear her voice getting closer. I saw a large lump covered by a blanket against the back wall. I moved the two of us closer to the lump to hind behind. If we acted fast enough, we could hide under the blanket and mom wouldn't see us.

I pushed Lila down and grabbed the blanket to cover us. When I lifted the blanket, I was greeted by 2 golden eyes staring at me. Both me and Lila screamed. I had dropped the blanket back down over the eyes and moved us away from the thing.

Kids: "MOM!" "MOMMY!"

Laura: "Cooper! Lila!"

Cooper: "Mom!" The creature stood up. The blanket falling off. Surprising enough it was a massive, furry dog. I have never seen a dog that big. I put myself in front of Lila, so I was in between the two. The dog came closer to us. The closer it got the further we had backed away, trying to keep as much distance between us and the dog. "Go away! Leave us alone!" I yelled at it, but it kept coming closer. I had backed us into the corner, and we had nowhere else to go. The dog was now only a couple feet away from us.

Laura: "Kids! Oh my God. Kids don't move, I'm coming to get you." I could hear mom trying to open the gate for the stable. She was cursing the lock for it as it has always had a habit of sticking. The dog had stuck its nose in my face and started sniffing. I shut my eyes tight, thinking this was how I would die. Just as I thought it was going in for the kill, it gave my face one long lick. I cracked open one eye and saw the dog crouched down. Its tail moved so fast that it went in one direction while its body went the other. It gave a happy yip then pounced on me. Tackling both me and Lila to the ground and licking us both mercilessly. Mom had finally gotten the gate open when the dog stopped licking up. It's head snapping towards her. Mom froze not wanting to make any sudden movements.

Laura: "Kids, don't move. Alex, it's ok. It's just me."

Mom took one step closer and the dog, who's name I guess is Alex, started growling. Mom took a step back as she did Alex took a step towards her then stopped once her body was between mom and ours. Mom had stepped back enough to be out of the stable but kept the door open. She had reached into her pocket slowly and pulled out her phone.

Clint POV

We had been gone for a couple hours. I was just finishing up putting all the supplies i bought in the truck when Nat came over with the groceries.

N: "Got everything?"

C: "Yeah. Even got some extra supplies to work on a few other projects I haven't finished yet. Anything else you need while we are out?"

N: "Can we stop somewhere and get some clothes for Alex. I'm hoping now that you saw her shift she will spend more time out of wolf form."

C: "Laura was going through some clothes to donate. We could pick up the essentials then take her shopping when she's comfortable."

N: "Yeah that works."

We were headed over to Target to buy Alex the essentials when my phone rang. I took it out and saw it was Laura calling.