thirty one

"Are you sure we can't just arrive together?" Max calls out from my bed as he watches me put my earrings in through the mirror of my vanity.

"Trust me, I'd love nothing more." I huff out, smiling sadly back at him through the mirror. "But come on, we've got to keep Christian's golden boy squeaky clean."

Since Monza, Max and I had been following Christians orders, as much as it pained us both to do so. We had gotten separate flights back, stopped going out for our runs together and even stayed away from each other in the paddock in Russia. Instead, I was always seen to be glued to the side of Pierre, who I'm now pretty sure has an AirTag on me so that he can track where I am and run in the opposite direction. Unluckily for him, I'm like his sleep paralysis demon who just keeps showing up in every corner of the room that he's in.

So far Max and I had been sneaking around like a pair of teenagers who still lived with their parents. When we were in Russia we'd either be secretly FaceTiming or running backwards and forwards to each other's rooms. It wasn't so hard now that we're back in Monaco and literally live an apartment away, but race weekends are going to be tough. That's why, right now we're making the most of what we can.

"But it's my birthday." He whines like a child whilst getting up from my bed to stand behind me.

I reach behind me and grab his arm before using it to pull him against my back and wrap his arm around me. I lean back so that my head is against his stomach as I look at us in the mirror.

"I know, mon lion." I sadly smile. "But unfortunately we have to play his game."

In the mirror I see his lips flick up as a genuine smile emerges on his face. "Is that a new nickname for me bee?"

His smile makes my heart skip a beat. I can't describe it but seeing him happy and knowing it's because of me fills me with joy, enough joy that I also can't stop smiling.

"Not if you don't like it." I smile back at him through the mirror.

I watch as he bends down, now also wrapping his other arm around my waist and hugging me tightly as he places his face in the crook of my neck, with his stubble tickling it slightly.

"I never said I didn't like it." He whispers lowly, keeping eye contact with me the whole time, which drives me crazy.

I lift up my right hand and throw it around the back of his head to play with his hair. "Good." I smirk. "Mon lion."

He turns his face in and begins to kiss my neck as I melt backwards in to his touch. His kisses send me in to overdrive as I try to regulate my breathing, but nothing seems to help, so instead I tug harder on to his hair.

"You're the birthday boy." I manage to breathe out. "This should really be the other way around."

I feel him chuckle against me which only makes my breathing harder as he attacks me more.

"Well I enjoy this." He finally moves away, bringing up his hand to caress my chin and softly move it so that I'm finally staring at him without the mirror. "So you are my best present." He moves closer, placing his lips on mine ever so lightly.

God, this man is driving me insane.

I swear, at this point people must think that the only thing I do is go to clubs and drive fast. I mean, they wouldn't be wrong, but I also eat and sleep.