Chapter 3: House Nexus

The grand gates of Verdantia Academy loomed ahead, casting a shadow over the eager throng of students and mentors gathered outside. Rose's excitement was contagious as she led the way, her eyes sparkling with anticipation.

We made our way through the bustling courtyard, the air alive with the hum of magical energy. Students from all walks of life mingled together, their cloaks billowing behind them as they chatted excitedly.

As we approached the entrance hall, I couldn't help but feel a sense of unease. This was a far cry from the streets of Embarfall, with its grandeur and opulence. I was a commoner among nobles, an outsider in a world of magic and privilege.

Rose, sensing my apprehension, squeezed my hand reassuringly.

I nodded, trying to push aside my doubts. We were ushered into the entrance hall, the marble floors gleaming beneath our feet, and an abundance of students talked among themselves as they sat at their respective house tables.. The walls were lined with portraits of past sorcerers, their faces stern and imposing. And a stone podium stood in front of four massive statues, each representing the house mascots.

An attractive yet stern-looking woman with pearlescent white hair stood at the front of the hall, her golden robes billowing behind her as she walked. She introduced herself as Headmistress Elara, her voice commanding respect, as the hall goes silent.

"Welcome, students, to Verdantia Academy of Arcane Arts," she said, her voice echoing through the hall. "You have been chosen to wield the gift of magic, and it is your duty to hone your abilities and serve the kingdom."

I stood tall, trying to appear confident as Headmistress Elara spoke. She explained the four houses of the academy—Nexus, Empyrean, Sentinel, and Hethen. "House Empyrean, the green house, known for being Empathetic, idealistic, and creative. They are associated with Periodot crystals and their mascot is a Griffin. House Sentinel, the blue house, known for being Reliable, brave, and supportive. They are associated with Sapphires and their mascot is a Giant Dire Wolf. House Hethen, the yellow house, known for being Adventurous, Spontaneous, and Resourceful. They are associated with citrine crystals and their mascot is a Phoenix. And House Nexus, the purple house, known for being  Ambitious, Strategic, and Independent. They are associated with Amethyst crystals and their mascot is a winged fox." She says as she walks past each statue.

"Each of you will be sorted into one of these houses based on your strengths and abilities," Headmistress Elara continued. "Your house will become your family, your support, and your competition. Please step forward when your name is called."

One by one, students stepped onto the podium, their nerves palpable in the air. "Arlo Goldvelt," Headmistress Elara called out, her voice echoing through the hall. A tall, handsome young man with light blonde hair and steel grey eyes stepped forward, his expression a mix of excitement and apprehension.

He stood on the podium, his eyes fixed on the statues. After a moment of tense silence, the statue of the giant dire wolf began to glow a vibrant blue. A cheer went up from the students of House Sentinel as Arlo joined their ranks.

I watch as person by person, each was called up towards the podium and the glowing of a statue shortly followed.

"Reva Sinclair, Hethen!"

"Elias Churchill, Sentinel!"

"Sephtis Keern, Nexus!"

"Clyde Moro, Hethen!"

And so on... and so on..

Rose was sorted into House Empyrean, her eyes shining with excitement as the griffin statue gives off a light green glow. I caught her eye and gave her a reassuring smile before turning my attention back to the headmistress.