Farewell, Susannah Fisher

Beginne am Anfang

You might be crazy
Have I told you lately, that I love you? 

The audience members were in a trance listening to the young girl pour her emotions into the song. It was clear to them that the deceased meant a great deal to her.  

You're the only reason that I'm not afraid to fly
And it's crazy
That someone could change me
Now no matter what it is I have to do
I'm not afraid to try
And you need to know that you're the reason, why

If it was raining, you would yell at the sun
Pick up the pieces when the damage is done
You say it's just another day in the shade
Look at what a mess we made 

She smiled at Jeremiah and Conrad thinking about the mischief they got up to and Susannah scolding them, but hugging them after their punishment. She was firm yet caring.

You might be crazy
Have I told you lately, that I love you? 
You're the only reason that I'm not afraid to fly

Conrad couldn't take his eyes off her as she sang about his mother. It just made him fall for her more than he cared to admit.

You might be crazy
Have I told you lately, that I love you? 

Her eyes became blurry with tears as sang, her heart screaming for Susannah to hear her from amongst the stars above.

You're the only reason that I'm not afraid to fly

You might be crazy 
Have I told you lately, that I love you?
You're the only reason that I'm not afraid to fly
And it's crazy
That someone could change me
Now no matter what it is I have to do
I'm not afraid to try
And you need to know that you're the reason, why
🎵

After the service, the beach house was being used for the wake. Abby finished using the toilet when she heard some sniffles coming from the rec room. She looked in seeing Conrad hunched over crying. 

She rushed over and held him, he looked to see who was holding him and relaxed in her embrace. They changed positions so he was lying on the couch, his head in her lap as she ran her fingers through his hair, gently scratching his scalp. 

"Abby," he said. She hummed, letting him know she was listening. "Can you sing that song you wrote about Mom last summer? The one about a lighthouse?"

She looked down at him, "now?"

He moved his head to look at her, "please?" 

She couldn't say no to him, not when he was this fragile. She smiled slightly and nodded. Conrad turned his whole body to lay on his back so he could look at her when she sang to him for his mom.

Author's Note: Imagine there's no music, it's acapella and without the the ad-libs. You can play from 0:53.

🎵
When it gets real, just know that I'll be there 

Abby kept her right hand in Conrad's hair scratching his scalp gently as she sang.