Chapter 1: Shadows of Embarfall

I crouched in the shadows of Embarfall's crowded market square, my heart pounding with a mix of anticipation and fear. The moonlight danced through the thick canopy of trees, casting dappled shadows on the cobblestone streets below. It was nearing midnight, and the air was thick with the scent of freshly baked bread and exotic spices.

My eyes darted from one richly dressed passerby to another, searching for my mark. A well-dressed nobleman with a purse heavy with coin. I had learned to read people's pockets like a book, to know the weight of a purse by the way it swung at their side.

Finally, I spotted him-a portly man with a pompous air, his doublet adorned with fine embroidery. He strutted through the market, oblivious to the world around him. Perfect.

With practiced stealth, I slipped through the crowd, my fingers deftly snaking into the folds of his coat. The purse came free with a satisfying jingle of coins, and I melted back into the shadows before he even realized it was gone.

I made my way through the winding streets of Embarfall, the stolen purse safely hidden beneath my tattered cloak. The town was alive with the sounds of revelry and laughter, but I paid it no mind. My focus was on the small hutt hidden deep in the woods, where I sought refuge.

The hutt was a ramshackle affair, its walls made of rough-hewn timber and its roof patched with moss-covered thatch. It was a far cry from the grand manors of the nobles, but it was my sanctuary.

I pushed open the creaking door, greeted by the warm glow of a crackling fire and the smell of stew simmering on the hearth. The hutt was sparsely furnished, with a simple bed of straw in one corner and a rickety table in the center.

I emptied the stolen coins onto the table, the glint of silver and gold a stark contrast to the rough wooden surface. But even as I counted the coins, my mind was elsewhere.

In the shadows of my mind, I heard the whispers of the orphans who roamed the streets of Embarfall. They were a constant presence, their hungry eyes following me as I moved through the town. I could have helped them, could have offered them shelter and food. But in the world I lived in, attachments were dangerous. They only served to weigh you down.

So instead, I did what I could. I stole from the rich and gave to the orphans, a small act of rebellion against the injustice of the world. As I pocketed a handful of coins, I knew exactly where they would go.

I slipped back out into the night, the stolen coins burning a hole in my pocket. The streets were empty now, the revelers having retreated to their homes. But in the shadows, the orphans still lingered.

I found them huddled in a dark alley, their faces gaunt with hunger and their clothes ragged. They looked up at me with wary eyes, unsure of my intentions.

"Here," I said gruffly, tossing the coins into their midst. "It's not much, but it's something."

Their eyes widened in surprise and gratitude as they scrambled to collect the coins. They knew better than to ask questions, to look a gift horse in the mouth.

As I turned to leave, a small voice called out to me. "Thank you, miss!"

I paused for a moment, my hand on the hilt of my dagger. But then I shook my head, pushing away the nagging feeling of guilt. I couldn't afford to have attachments, not in this world.

I made my way back to the hutt, the weight of the rest of the stolen coins heavy in my pocket. As I entered, the warm glow of the fire welcomed me home.

I settled onto a rough wooden stool by the fire, lost in my thoughts. How had I ended up here, a thief and a beggar living on the outskirts of society?

I had been born in Embarfall's orphanage, a place of cold stone walls and empty bellies. The matron had been kind enough, but there were too many mouths to feed and not enough coin to go around. I had learned early on that if I wanted to survive, I had to rely on my wits and my skills.

So I had taken to the streets, learning the art of thievery from the other urchins who roamed the alleys and backstreets of Embarfall. It was a dangerous life, but it was the only life I knew.

My thoughts were interrupted by a gentle knock on the door. I tensed, my hand instinctively reaching for the dagger tucked into my belt. But then I heard the voice, soft and familiar.

"Veil, it's me. Rose."

Rose Valence. The mayor's daughter, and my dearest friend. She was different from the other nobles, kind-hearted and compassionate. Despite my distrust of the upper classes, I had grown to trust Rose with my secrets and fears.

I opened the door to find her standing there, her olive skin glowing in the firelight and her brown eyes filled with concern. She was dressed in a simple gown, her usual finery exchanged for practicality.

"Rose," I said, relief flooding through me. "What brings you here?"

She stepped inside, her eyes scanning the small hutt with a mixture of sadness and understanding. "I wanted to see you before Ascension Day."

My heart sank at the mention of the annual event that loomed over every 15-year-old in Aerithia. Ascension Day, when the royal guards would search for those blessed with mana, the gift of magic. Rose, being a noble, was almost guaranteed acceptance. But for me, a commoner and a thief, it was a different story.

"I don't see the point in going," I muttered, my voice bitter. "I'm just a street rat. And I'm almost 16. There's no way I'm a sorcerer."

Rose placed a comforting hand on my shoulder, her touch warm against my cold skin. "Veil, you're more than that. You're strong, cunning, and brave. And who cares if you turn 16 soon? It's not your fault you didn't turn 15 in time last year. There's still hope."

I scoffed, but her words warmed something inside me. "And what about you, Rose? You're practically nobility. You'll be accepted without question."

She shook her head, her expression serious. "It's not about acceptance, Veil. I want you there with me, to witness this moment. You're my friend, my family. I need you by my side."

Despite my misgivings, I couldn't refuse her plea. Rose had been there for me when no one else had, and I owed her my loyalty. With a resigned sigh, I nodded.

"Alright, Rose. I'll go."

Her face lit up with a smile, her eyes shining with gratitude. "Thank you, Ve."

As we sat by the fire, the stolen coins forgotten, I couldn't shake the feeling of unease that gnawed at my gut. Ascension Day was coming. I turn my head to her and sigh "I'm going to miss you when they ship you off to that shitty academy you know?" Her response was a laugh. "Don't remind me." She says in a more somber tone.