7. Dinner

After taking a shower I went with my roommates to the dining room. Sasha and Historia were surprised that I was so calm. Because the last few days I didn't want to go and even asked Sasha to get me some of the food. Today they convinced me to eat in the dining hall because the risk that something big would happen was the lowest there. Jean, Connie and the others could help out. I agreed knowing that the commander would be there to help me out as well.

At the dining room Jean and Connie came to us.
"Hey Y/N. This time Reiner won't have a chance sitting next to you!" reassured Jean.
I smiled at him and replied: "Thank you Jean. But I don't want you guys to get hurt again because of me. I will sit between commander Erwin and section commander Mike for now."
Everyone was shocked.
"What?!?" Sasha yelled. "You are seriously eating with our superiors? How did you do that?" asked Connie. "Ah...I hid from Reiner and commander Erwin accidentally saw me. He was so nice and offered to help me out."

"Y/N! Let's go eat together." I heard a man calling out to me. But my smile turned into a light panic. Commander Erwin wasn't here yet.
Jean instinctually got between Reiner and me. "She doesn't want to eat with you, Reiner." While hiding behind Jean, Historia took my hand to comfort me.

"You are not the one to decide this Jean." Reiner towered over Jean and glared fiercely at him before he looked at me with a puppy-like smile.
"I missed eating with you Y/N. I'm glad you're well enough to eat at the canteen again."

Remembering the words from commander Erwin I gathered all my courage and replied: "I'm sorry Reiner, but I don't want to eat with you."
The blond man looked surprised from me, Historia's and my hands, up to Historia, to the other girls and back at me before he gently smiled.
Why is he smiling?

In front of everyone he took my free hand in his big one. Trying to refute him didn't help because his other hand clasped around my wrist. "If you want to enjoy your dinner with the girls I don't mind it Y/N."
"I'm... I'm eating with my friends, not only with the girls." I flinched. "Ouch!"
Out of nowhere he suddenly increased his grip strength.
Jean and Connie shouted: "Reiner! Let go of her!" "You're hurting Y/N!"
But Reiner didn't budge.

A tall man called out to me. "Here you are Y/N. You are quite small. I couldn't find you."
"Section commander Mike?" He nodded, put his hand on my shoulder and looked at Reiner. "You shouldn't force yourself on a woman. That will scare her away. So let go of her!"
Thanks to his order, Reiner let go of my hand and wrist. I looked at it. His grasp was really strong. The bruises were quite visible already. Hopefully it won't hinder me in my training and duties tomorrow.
Historia saw my red wrist and gasped: "Are you alright Y/N? This pig hurt you didn't he?" I nodded: "I will care about it after dinner. Thank you for worrying. We should eat now."

Section commander Mike, I and the others were getting our dinner. He still kept his arm to protect me around my shoulders. While waiting in line he sniffed me. I knew Captain Mike did this quite often but I was afraid that I would smell, even if I just took a shower.
"You smell like you were quite scared. I will take him close to me tomorrow. That way he won't be able to get near you."
I was really moved. Were all older men so reliable like these two?

Now it was my turn to get the food. The moment I wanted to take my bowl, Section Commander Mike got it. "Your wrist hurts, doesn't it? I will carry it for you."
"Thank you." My face turned red.

I followed Section Commander Mike to the table and saluted to greet everyone.
"Tch. What does a brat do here Mike?" Captain Levi was definitely against me being here.
Captain Hanji yelled: "Is she your girlfriend? She is really cute!"
He put the bowls down, sat down and looked at me. "You can sit here Y/N." He pointed at the seat right next to him.
I nodded and sat down. After a few bites I anxiously searched for Reiner at the other tables. He wouldn't dare come to this table. Would he?
As he would feel my stare, he shifted his head into my direction and started smiling at me. I shivered but I couldn't face away.