Too Little (Too Late for Regret?)

Another night and again the same scene was repeated in his dreams.

He's fighting Nightmare, chaos around them, the day where the Destroyer was meant to die.

"Brother! Please stop this madness, whatever that monster has told you, they're nothing but lies, please try to remember who you really are!" Trying to reason with his brother was normal for him, it seemed so obvious at that moment that his brother's mind had been altered by Error if he really believed that murderer was his brother. "I'm your brother, not Error, you are better than this, please let me heal you brother!".

And his brother, his baby brother, was looking at him in conflict, for a second had gone back to being the little boy he had sworn to protect after his birth.

But then...

"You really don't understand, do you? You stopped being my brother in the moment you called me a liar when I told you about the villagers". The conflict had disappeared from his brother's eyes, now there was only a cold determination. "Error didn't need to tell me anything to being with him, when are you going to learn, I DISOWNED YOU, WE AREN'T RELATED, YOU'RE NOT BROTHER OF MINE! NOT BEFORE AND DEFINITELY NOT NOW! ". And with that last cry Nightmare launched himself to attack him.

...The worst mistake of his life came back to destroy his last chance to get that child back, and the cruel reality finally caught up with him after years of running from it...

-------------------------------------------

Dream and Nightmare were twins, they were born from the same tree before being 'freed' to protect it and its apples, everyone knew that, that's what they would tell whoever bothered to ask them about it.

What they didn't know is that despite having been created at the same time, Dream was the one who woke up first; someone had attacked the Tree of Feelings, and his mother's side of Negativity had been damaged, which prevented his twin from being able to leave his side of the tree, at least not without suffering serious damage.

For months after, he took care of his little brother, slowly healing the tree's wound, he talked and talked so that Nightmare wouldn't feel alone, so that he knew that there was someone outside waiting for him.

The day his brother was 'born' was the happiest of his life.

And the day he returned home and found neither his little brother nor his mother was the worst of all.

-------------------------------------------

In retrospect, it was obvious that the villagers didn't like Nightmare, or rather, what he represented.

But the first few years of their lives hadn't been easy, food and shelter were something their Mother couldn't easily provide them, so when the villages around them found them, Dream had been more than a little excited at the thought of finally having access to resources to give his little brother the life he deserved.