Spiders

The caverns grew a little brighter as Nightmare and the Giant Spider Lady walked to what he assumed was her house, seeing the growing presence of cobwebs

If it weren't for the fact that he couldn't feel any sense of malice, at least not towards him, Nightmare would have already run in the opposite direction as soon as the Spider turned around after motioning for him to follow her.

It was strange to be relying on that particular ability again, he had grown used to never trusted it, Ink never felt like they want to hurt him or his brothers aside from Error, but the scars under his goop say otherwise.

And he never knew and not really care what intentions Dream had in mind other than to turn him back into that naive, idiotic kid he once was.

The ability that his former creator give to him was never useful before but for the moment it was the only thing he could rely on until he found his new...should he call him 'dad' now? till his new God give him his powers back, or maybe he would give him new ones, he don't understands how this works yet.

(But it was a mercy that this new Void God were a 'he', he didn't think he could force himself to call anyone else 'mom' anymore, he just had one true mom his whole life and it was not the one the give him life).

Perhaps it was strange that he was accepting all this change so easily, but Nightmare liked to believe that he was adaptable, this was not the first time that his body changed and it was not the first time that he had to start a new life in a new place, except this time it was just a new universe and not a whole multiverse.

And it's not like he was completely alone in this, his brothers were out there along with the promise of a new protector, the promise that Ink could never hurt Error again or try to turn him and the others into something they were no longer.

Looking around, Nightmare could almost swear that the place looked less scary and dark than it did a moment ago, maybe it was the reminder of everything this universe had to offer or maybe it was the thousands of cobwebs that gave it a glow silver to the tunnels.

He notice that the number of spiders had increased as well, none nearly as large as the one leading him, but none seemed smaller than his skull either.

Maybe it was just that Nightmare had a soft spot for spiders.

Way back when he still trusted that Dream would always be by his side no matter what, when he still innocently believed that the villagers might grow to love him, even just a little, if he just put more effort showed them that he wasn't the kind of monster they thought he was.

He remembers children's books describing them as Machiavellian beings that lead with lies and caught innocent insects in their webs and devoured them wildly, he remembers the books telling how poisonous these were and all the advents that said flee from them or kill them before they grew too big.

(He remembers all those nights trying to ignore the fact that the villagers saw Nightmare the same way they saw spiders).

Until the day the villagers started locking him in sheds and cupboards so he wouldn't "get in Dream's way", there were so many spiders in there...

But the spiders never hurt him, if he didn't do anything to them, they didn't even react to his presence, his aura didn't affect them or it just wasn't noticeable if it did.

The sheds became his safe place after a while, the spiders became his confidants, and at least for a while, they made his life more bearable.

Ha! how sad that is, that those were the best memories he had of his 'home' universe, a bunch of spiders keeping him company where his so-called brother never was.