Chapter 12 | Looking Homeless and Dirty

Beginne am Anfang

Calamity stared in shock as she watched the officers straighten their backs and clear their throats- nonchalantly checking themselves for inconsistencies.

"She may be homeless, dears." The woman explained, "It's okay! I can handle things."

The taller olive-toned officer bowed his head, "Of course, Mrs. Dieu." He rumbled, "Have a wonderful day."

As if it were nothing- the three officers left without another word.

This she-wolf, small and cute with not a single threatening feature, somehow managed to radiate an authoritative aroma.

"Only about 1% of werewolves are homeless," The woman told her, "I've always done my best to help those in need!" She beamed brightly, "Please! I'd love to help you to your feet."

Once they were out of ear distance- Calamity leaned toward the plump woman. "I'm not homeless." She muttered, nonchalantly eyeing the pedestrians passing them by.

With a smile and sparkling blue eyes, she waved a hand, "It's okay! I know it's not something to feel prideful of... I am not here to judge you, okay?"

Calamity opened her mouth, but the woman interrupted, "What's your name, love?"

"... Calamity." She swallowed.

The woman beamed, "That's such a unique name!" She cheered, "Mine's River!"

River offered her a hand to shake. The mohawked woman hesitated, reluctant to offer to let someone touch her... she's a walking disease.

Regardless, Calamity took her hand and shook it.

Stealing her hand back, River raised a hand and rested it on the woman's cheek. Her brilliant smile disappeared and morphed into a frown. "Oh, you poor dear..." she whispered.

Her thumb gently graced over her black eye- causing Calamity to wince. Her caring nature was like a healing aura- soothing her whirlwind of emotions and making her feel important. No one in the infirmary could soothe her like this woman could.

Despite her concerns, a hopeful smile upturned her lips. It radiated with a mother's warmth.

"Don't worry- I'll get you squared away!" She clapped her hands and patted her back- directing Calamity down the pathway.

The cheerful woman happily waddled down the path- swaying her hips with every step. She had the class of a rich woman but the radiating joy of an impoverished woman.

Calamity was eyeing her bags- noticing her arms were slightly wobbly with carrying them.

"I got them!" The woman suddenly insisted, "Goodness, you're giving me the look my brother-in-law gives me." She waved a hand dismissively, "I got it! My husband already treats me like glass."

She sealed her lips shut and simply allowed the over zealous woman to guide her down the mall pathway.

Suddenly, the world viewed them entirely differently.

Passing rich werewolves waved and smiled at the joyful woman. Older rich women were joyous at the sight of her- some behaving as if she were a celebrity.

They passed through the exit of the outdoor mall. Expensive cars littered the streets, some parked along the sidewalk, while some werewolves handed the keys to their luxury cars to valet's. 

There was still a noticeable lack of... humans. It's like they were kicked out of anything joyous in life.

"Hi!" River happily cheered, waving in the air at a passing car.

A futuristic car with a long front rolled closer toward the sidewalk. It was Lincoln Glider with glowing blue accents and gold features beautifying the vehicle. The windows encompassed the entire roof of the car.

As it rolled up- it's engine was completely silent. The passenger door popped out and slid backwards- as if all that was done was the press of a button.

"That's my chauffer," River explained to Calamity gleefully, "Go in! Take a seat anywhere, okay?"

Relunctant but fueled with curiousity- she slowly wandered up to it and slid inside.

The interior was a wet dream for sci-fi enthusiasts. Soft velvet lined the top layer of the walls, the sets a beautiful sea-foam leather, and the rest of the vehicle white with gold accents.

Back seats were against the walls like a limosene with a shocking amount of room to move around. A table was in the middle with drink holders to keep drinks still.

The drivers seat and front passenger seat had a wall with a sliding glass window. Looking through it- she noticed the steering wheel was a recetangle.

"The bougie ass shit rich people invent..." She whispered and slid into the seats.

It felt like she could melt into them. The leather was soft and comforting- dipping inward just enough to be happy.

River set aside all of her bags of expensive purses and clothing down near the front- a perfect space made for luggage to be set aside.

"Do you like the temp?" The French-braided woman hummed, "Change it if you need to, okay hun?"

Oh, god she's too rich.

The Lincoln door slid shut fluently with a soft click. As she settled down- the vehicle began moving. It slid forward like a gliding figure skater.

Sliding down in the seat- River prepared two glasses of cold water with round ice cubes in them.

"We're going to a hotel, Calamity!" She informed her happily, "Is that alright with you?"

Calamity pured her lips, thinking, before swooping her head down in a hesitant nod.

"... Yep."

She was still thirsty for a cig.