now i just sit in the dark and wonder if it's time

lol hi here's the rest of the story

august 11th (5 days prior)

When Yelena walks into work the next morning, she's admittedly not in the best of moods. The way that Kate looked last night is still weighing on her mind and it doesn't help that Kate looks like she's barely there when Yelena sees her.

Yelena doesn't mention it, instead opting to just keep her distance like Kate asked her to, but it doesn't help her nerves any. Especially when Kate dismisses herself for a phone call.

She distracts herself instead, talking to Peter about everything and nothing while they wait to be called.

"Directing is the dream, I think," Peter says, counting something off on his fingers that Yelena's not keep track of, "I mean, it's all I've ever wanted - to tell the stories that I want to tell the way that I want to tell them."

"At least promise to cast me in a few of them," Yelena responds with a little grin, to which Peter grins.

"You're one of the best actresses of this generation, of course I will," Peter responds honestly, squeezing her arm, "Speaking of, do you have any projects lined up? I haven't heard anything about that in a while."

"Uh, no," Yelena ducks her head bashfully, not wanting to spill the whole oh yeah, getting arrested next week thing on him. "I'm taking a bit of a sabbatical. I don't want to... overextend myself, you know?"

"Yeah, I totally get it," Peter nods, "MJ and I are taking a long vacation in the spring - opened up our schedules for it and everything. I'm excited, we've never spent so much time together. It feels like a next step."

Yelena nods, "I'm happy for you, Peter. MJ's wonderful."

"She is," Peter grins and Yelena can tell how smitten he is - it's endearing. She longs to feel that way about someone.

Kate walks back into the room at that moment and sits down maybe twenty feet away, a calmer look on her face than the one that was wearing her face thin twenty minutes ago.

Yelena's then sorely reminded that she does feel that way for someone, that she does want long vacations and nights together and Kate's smiling face on the red carpet with her.

"How are things with you and Beth?" Peter asks quietly, snapping Yelena from her daze, "I know I'm bad at seeing when there's something between people, but you guys are bad at hiding it."

Yelena nods a little, eyes falling on the other woman before meeting Peter's again, "We're taking things slowly. I don't know... it... it feels too good to be true most of the time, you know?"

"I guess," Peter replies, "but I think that you owe it to yourself to at least try and see how things go. You guys really do make a good couple, I think."

Yelena hums quietly, only able to see Kate at the forefront of her mind. Has she really fallen for Kate? The same woman that she was so hellbent on avoiding for her entire life? It's like some crappy romcom.

"Are you just saying that because you want a couple to go on double dates with?" Yelena asks, trying to change the mood of the conversation. She's tired of sappy bullshit and worrying about things that have no chance of happening.

"Well, yeah," Peter laughs, "Seriously, MJ and I are the only ones of our friends in a serious relationship. At least if you and Kate got together, we'd have another couple to do couple-things with."

"And what are couple things?" Yelena questions, "Joint stargazing? Reservations for four at those expensive fucking restaurants instead of two?"

Peter hesitates, "I don't actually know, to be honest. I've never been in a couple with couple friends."