T W E N T Y T H R E E

L E O N

my back slams through the dark depths as the hole has light shining through. I get up and wave my flashlight around, jogging down the concrete path.

"time to finish... your training." he sneers.

"you've lost it completely, krauser." as soon as I turn the corner, he comes at me full speed, about to swipe me yet I reject it with my knife. "so that's your true power? oh, I'd ask for a refund." I said, slowly walking and sneaking past slim, small areas.

"you're gonna regret that smart mouth of yours."

my nostrils fill with fresh air when I come outside, running towards the ladder to climb. I reach the circled wooden boards, only to notice the entrance gate into the castle closing. I hear a rough stump behind me. apparently my training isn't finished yet. I move out of the way the moment krauser strikes and I land safely on my knees. 

"nah. time for the teacher to be taught." 

"such confidence. bring it, rookie!"

the final battle commenced, an ex police officer and his older leader. I hated every bit of it, observing how good people can turn into the worst. I take the first two shots to his kneecaps, causing him to drop for a split second and I roundhouse kick to his face. being the bad time to reload, I end up hanging on the edge with both of my hands he tries to stomp on. I break free, slicing his knee and accepting the chance to get back up.

"I'm not surprised you made it this far!" he exclaims. Instead of responding, I avoid his effort to distract me and continuing fighting by throwing a bunch of grenades in his direction. 

"It's a damn shame you can't see the truth. strength is everything. the weak can protect nothing!" he jumps to a high place to ground strike me but somehow I barely dodge it, still making the floor around us rattle like a fucking earthquake.

"the way you're going, there won't be anything left to protect! you'd have known that once!" he collides his mutilated arm to basically grab my head only for me to stab his chest. 

"that's where you're wrong! I didn't know a damn thing! now I do!" he laughs deviously, "yes! this is the moment I've been waiting for!" the number of roundhouse kicks I did and shots I took eventually made krauser fall on his back, to defeat. his eyes flash to his sharp weapon beside him.

"do... what you have to do." I take matters into my own hands, seeing the reflection of my icy blues staring back at me. I kneel down, gripped tightly on the handle, aiming above his heart.

"that's right."

I went deep into his chest. his breathing slows down, and he forms his last choice of words. "I trained you well... leon." 

"that you did, major. that you did." the entrance to the ruins opened. I look back to my former leader's bloody corpse on the ground. I angrily shake my head as I fully make my way inside. I follow the long staircase and bring out my pair of binoculars to view what I'm dealing with next. I see ashley and kelly chained up, walking behind those disciples of saddler's surrounding them.

"hang on just a bit longer... I'm not letting go easily this time." I lowly whisper to myself. I dive downwards to continue onto the path. a helicopter comes in to repeatedly gunfire the enemies in front of me, creating a way for me to speed through. 

"sorry, bad traffic! one combat chopper, compliments of hunnigan! call me mike. now, let's show these assholes what we got!"

hunnigan... I owe you one.

"oh yeah, more customers! lure them into an open area! I'll give them what they came for!" I did what the man ordered me to do and many corpses cripple before they can even speak their devilish incantations. mike blasts the entryway on fire so none of them can come in, 

"jackpot! all right, go go go!" 

I run around the building to climb up to the top to continue up ahead. 

"leave the area up ahead to me! take a break... before you join in on the fun!" he announces in his country accent, as fireworks go off.

"hell yeah! what can I say, I never miss!"

as I proceed to the next area, an anti aircraft gun rises to the top, firing towards my only backup. "hey, tough guy, do something about that turret! I needed to take a piss anyway." 

***

what happened next was unexpected but not surprising at the same time. a bunch of parasites invaded the helicopter. It spins round and round till it explodes. "mike!" I yell. then inputs our favorite purple robed lord in front of the smoking flames, only for more parasites to fly in.

"I'll make sure you're the next to go, saddler."