• Meet Enzo and Cami •

Start from the beginning

Kai ran straight to the front door leaving Josie and I to get the luggage. 

"Pappy! Nonna! Open up, you're favourite grandchild is here!" Kai knocked on the door.

"That's highly debatable," spoke Josie.

The door swung open to reveal Enzo and Cami smiling brightly. Enzo was in a light blue polo shirt with khaki shorts, brown sandals and sunglasses resting upon his head. Cami was in a white floral maxi summer dress paired with white slip on shoes. Both looked amazing  for their ages, Pappy sixty eight and Nonna sixty six. Their natural milk chocolate locks were fading into an ashy grey, but still had it's thickness and volume.

They were ageing so gracefully that it made me wish I was related by blood just to have those genes. 

"Mio nipote!" Nonna said moving from her spot and taking Kai into her arms. "I missed you." 

"I missed you too," Kai smiled. 

"Ay, what about me?" Pappy said offended. Kai released his hold on Nonna and went to Pappy. "Much better."

"Le mie nipoti!" Nonna said as she made her way to Josie and I unloading the car. 

"Nonna," we said abandoning the luggage to hug the older woman. Pappy and Kai joined the hug too.

This was needed, my grandparents, the group hug, being in Cousins for the summer, all of it.

"Children, slow down. The chicken is already dead, it can't run off your plate," Pappy said. 

Our grandparents spoke with a thick Italian accent which is to be expected. They are Italian born and bred. I'm always impressed by their English. My Dad and his siblings have an accent too, just not as strong. It's what got Mum interested in Dad in the first place, hearing that he wasn't from London and the way he'd say Elenora with is accent, it makes her heart swoon still to this day. 

The house smelt so good, Nonna was cooking food for our arrival, but before we could taste the fruits ofher labour, Pappy told us to unpack. We rushed to our rooms, unpacked in record time, then returned to a set table and food galore. 

They lived in a five bedroom house, where we each got our own room. They could have bought a smaller home, but they wanted it to be inviting for family to stay over, and not feel like there was no space for visitors. They even got a great price for it. 

"Kai, have you been good in school?" Nonna asked,

"Mm-hmm, I got the best score in the final math quiz," he smiled proudly. 

"That's my boy," Pappy smiled. 

"Josie, how are you enjoying cheerleading?" asked Nonna.

"I like it a lot. 'Cause I'm small, I'm a flyer."

Pappy looked confused, "Flyer? What is a Flyer? Do you go into a plane?" Josie and I laughed only making him more confused.

"No, Pappy, a flyer is the person who gets thrown into the air," my sister explained.

"Oh, my God. They throw you in the air?" Nonna spoke concerned. I'm not sure she's understanding.

"Oh, don't worry, they catch me every time," she reassured. 

Still not convinced, I took out my phone and showed them a video of Josie during a competition last month. Nonna and Pappy gasped when they saw the girls throw Josie in the air. She spun fast then landed safely in the catching arms. My grandparents relaxed and praised Josie.

"Abby, how is school?" Pappy asked.

"A little stressful. We're sending university applications very soon, and there's pressure to get into a good school," I said.

"Do you have a school in mind?"

"I have a couple, but two of them are far, and I don't want to be too far from you guys, and Mum and Dad or Josie and Kai. I don't know," I spoke poking at me pasta.

"Mia nipote," Nonna said, "when your Papa went to London for his scholarship, it was very hard, but your Pappy and I supported him, not matter what. And if he never went there, we wouldn't have you children with us now."

"Take the leap, sweetheart, enjoy the ride. We'll be right behind you," added Pappy.

I smiled in appreciation, "thanks."

It was reassuring to hear this, Stanford is on the other side of the country, and Kings College is not even in this continent, it's in London. That's the university Mum went to. If I go there, I could carry on her legacy and be closer with my family on her side, plus the school has an amazing international student scholarship, fully funded and everything. 

I had other great options that were nearby, but I don't to want waste the next three to four years of my young adult life thinking what if all the time.

After dinner, we cleaned up, watched a movie and went to bed. Josie, Kai and I have had a long day, from early morning car rides, to arriving at Cousins in the late evening. 

As I was about to take a shower, my phone rang. Strange, I thought to myself, it's night time. 

"Jere?" I asked answering the phone.

"Hi, Abby," he said.

"Hi, how are you?" I said masking my shock. I wasn't expecting to here from him today, especially since he didn't come to Steven's graduation ceremony. I would have thought he would try to avoid me to not answer questions. 

"Yeah, I'm, uh, I'm good..." I could tell his tone was anything but good. My suspicions were right when he corrected himself, "actually no, no- I'm not good. Have you heard from Conrad?"

"Uh, not recently," I furrowed my brows, "why? What's wrong?" 

"I, uh, I think he's gone," he spoke lowly.

"Gone?" I said stopping my movements around my room, "What do you mean gone?"

"He's not answering my texts or picking up my calls."

"Since when?"

"Yesterday."

I sat on my bed, "Maybe he's in library pulling an all-nighter. He's got finals coming up."

"No, no, I don't think so. Apparently he told his roommate that everything is fucked, and then he just took off," Jeremiah answered a little frustrated. "He didn't mention anything to you?" 

I try to remember mine and Conrad's talk from the day before yesterday, "the last time we spoke was before yesterday, he didn't say anything, but he sounded stressed. I assumed it was just the pressure of finals, but now...I'm not so sure."

If Jeremiah is calling me to say Conrad's not answering his phone, then it must be serious. It's normal to miss some calls or texts, but he hasn't messaged back saying he's got them or said he's busy. 

"I think I'm gonna go to Brown in the morning and see if I can track him down," spoke Jeremiah on the other end. 

I nodded, "okay, you do that and I'll check here."

"In Boston?" 

"No, Cousins."

"Cous- what are you doing in Cousins?" he asked confused.

"My grandparents moved here a couple months ago, remember?" I reminded him. "My siblings and I are spending the summer with them whilst my parents are in London visiting family."

"Oh, right. Wait, why-why would Conrad be in Cousins?"

"It's his safe place." 

Until next time...💜

Edited: 24.06.2024