• Steven, The Graduate •

Start from the beginning

Everyone cheered loudly. His speech was amazing, I know it touched a lot of people. It touched me. 

Tomorrow is not promised to anyone so live today. 

After the ceremony, Mum and Dad went to find Laurel and John whilst I went with Josie and Kai to find Steven to give him only part of his gift. Mum went a little overboard with the gifts, so I'm bring a small one to him now to prepare him.

"Steven!" Kai exclaimed when he saw the new graduate talking to Belly . He ran over to the Conklin boy whose face held surprise all over. 

"Oh my God, Kai!" He met the boy half way and caught him in his arms spinning him round. "What- I-"

"Surprise!" Josie and I said with jazz hands. 

Steven broke away from the embrace to be brought into another by Josie.

"Congrats on graduating, Stevie," my sister said.

"Thanks, Jo Jo."

He looked at me like he was going to cry. I smiled and closed the gap between us. I held him round the neck as he gripped my waist tight as if he was making sure I was actually here. We stayed like that for a bit before I pulled away. 

I held his face in my hands and smiled at him, "you look like you're gonna cry."

"I-I didn't know you were coming. Mom said you guys were, but, uh, you're seats were empty and-"

"Oh sorry about that, we arrived a little late and sat in the back," I interrupted. "The traffic was a little bad, but it was worth it to see you on that stage." He smiled brightly at me, "congratulations." 

"Thank you," he said hugging me again, "thank you so much for coming."

"I would not dare miss this moment." We pulled apart and I crushed Belly in a hug.

"Can't breathe Abs," she heaved.

"Oops, sorry" I said loosening my grip. "You look so pretty, B. You have bigger boobs."

"Abby!" she scolded playfully. "It's so good to see you."

I turned back to Steven, "your speech was amazing."

"Yeah," Josie agreed, "it made Mum cry."

We laughed but it was true, Mum did cry. It was more so seeing a baby she's watched grow up, become a young man. She only wished her best friend, Susannah Fisher, were here to witness it too.

"That's sweet," spoke Belly.

"Where's Conrad and Jeremiah?" Kai asked, the same question I was wondering.

Belly and Steven's faces fell at the mention of the two missing from our group. "They, uh, they didn't come."

My face mirrored theirs, "oh." I was so disappointed, this was a big day for Steven. I know it may be awkward or whatever, but this was a perfect time to put those feelings aside and come together to celebrate a great accomplishment. 

Sensing the shift in mood, Josie spoke, "we got you a gift." She gestured for me to give him the envelope. 

I replaced my frown with a smile and gave him the gift. 

"You guys, you didn't need to get me anything," Steven said as he broke the seal. His eyes widened seeing two tickets to a band he likes. "No way, these are sold out. How did you do get these."

"Dad has connections and got a discount," I smiled.

"Thank you guys," he said hugging us again.

"That's just the tip of the iceberg," commented Josie.