3 - A Knight's Mandate (2)

Sir Gareth was a simple man. He loved two things deeply— his family, and his country. As such, he was willing to do anything to protect either of those things he held closely to his heart. Anything. He took it very seriously. And anything that dared come up against them would have to pay the price. So, forgive him if he had his doubts about certain things. He greatly admired His Grace the Duke, for example; and the Duke certainly respected him, but Gareth found himself having reservations every once in awhile.

This was the perfect case and point. The Duke had allowed the foreigner to join the Knights, just like that. Now, Sir Gareth had not fought alongside him in the war— they were stationed in different regions— but the Duke had a lot to say about Joon's prowess with weapons. However, his past as a mercenary bothered him greatly. This was something he simply could not set aside. The Crimson Band was well-known, for good and for bad. Some claimed the band was no less than an outlaw gang, others swore that the members submitted themselves to the King's will. In any case, Sir Gareth couldn't believe any of the two rumors that had sprung up around the Band since they had arrived in Gyeowon. After all, many of the members were refugees from Yonsai and harbored bitterness against Gyeowon. Who wasn't to say that it wouldn't be below them to share crucial intel with their generals? It was common sense that mercenaries served the highest bidder.

It was true that Joon seemed more capable than the other recruits. The Duke trusted him greatly, after all. But Sir Gareth still felt uneasy about trusting someone who had spent much of his career as a mercenary, who was also a stranger to Gyeowon and to the Knights. Dame Elara had easily waved off the Duke's request to keep him with the recruits and sent him off to train with the Knights, as if he were already one of their own.

He eyed the young man as he gathered his gear thoughtfully among the other Knights who were discussing the training that was to follow. There was something strange about Joon. Though he appeared very calm and collected on the outside, he felt that he was keeping many secrets hidden deep within. It didn't help that he wasn't talkative either. He wrapped his hands quietly, his impertinent bangs covering his eyes. He would be a difficult case to crack. Sir Gareth decided that he might as well take a stab at it. If nothing else, Joon might have a hidden skill that could be of use to the Knights. The best thing to do with spies, after all, was to question them.

"Joon," he called out, his hand on his shoulder.

"Yes, sir?"

He gave a false smile, patting him on the back. "I'll be keeping an eye out for you." So don't try anything.

Joon's face held a look of confusion. "Thank you, sir," he replied.

***

Joon had felt an uncomfortable presence watching him as he had come to join the Knight's training in the afternoon. As he stood among the other Knights in line, he noticed people staring at him and whispering to one another. But the ominous feeling wasn't from the people around him— he knew that for sure.

"Joon!" the Knight on his left, dressed in armor and a red cloak, whispered energetically. "It's me, Arlan!" Arlan smiled widely, hitting him firmly on the back. Joon stumbled, unused to the feeling of his own heavy armor on his body. He glanced at Arlan, giving him a pointed glance in return. Arlan smiled sheepishly. "Hey, you look great in Suneo's colors! They suit you well," he encouraged.

"Thanks," Joon muttered dryly under his breath, glancing quickly in Sir Gareth's direction as he began to talk.

Arlan leaned closer and whispered conspiratorially into his ear. "So... are you joining? Here to stay?" he asked hopefully.

Joon nodded silently. "For now," he answered shortly, his eyes glued to the Lieutenant before them, who was pacing as he was discussing the afternoon's plan.

He frowned, tilting his head. "For now? What do you mean, for now?"

"Joon. Arlan. Do you have something you want to share with everyone else?" Sir Gareth interrupted, his voice stern. Both of them froze for a brief instant before turning their heads in Sir Gareth's general direction.

"No, Sir," they answered in unison, exchanging looks. Arlan was more abashed than he was, the tips of his ears a flushed red. Joon sighed. Why did he suddenly feel like a student, learning from his tutor again?

"I think they were asking if they could run another lap around the grounds, sir," the Knight on Joon's right said, eyes narrowed and arms crossed.

"And I think all three of you are itching for some more repetitions on top of that, Marcus," Sir Gareth added, folding his arms across his chest and raising one brow slowly, almost challengingly.

Marcus swallowed hard, pride hurt, glancing between Sir Gareth and Joon before he reluctantly spoke up. "Yes, Sir."

Joon nearly smirked, making eye contact with the man at fault. Nearly. It was hard not to. Sir Gareth may have been oddly biased against him, but at the very least, he seemed to be a fair man.

Sir Gareth nodded. "Then get started. Come on, Arlan, Joon, Marcus, boys, move it!" he commanded, waving his hand ahead of him.

The three men stumbled into a jog, racing toward the edge of the field to start doing laps around it.

"Thanks, Arlan," Joon mumbled, catching his breath before resuming his pace.

"Anytime," replied Arlan cheerfully with that oblivious nature of his, clapping Joon on the back.

Marcus grunted as he maneuvered between them, roughly shoving them with his shoulders. Joon grimaced slightly, glancing up at him. Marcus glared back down, muttering something under his breath that sounded suspiciously similar to "Yonker," a familiar slur for foreigners from Yonsai. Joon shook his head slightly, not letting his expression falter even when he was pushed away. It wasn't uncommon in Gyeowon. Not even when he was a mercenary with the Crimson Band. But it still stung, even after all these years of having lived in Gyeowon.

He missed the red handkerchief around his arm. His hands tightened into fists. He'd show them. He'd show them just how useful a Yonker could be.

⚔️⚔️⚔️

Heh... my mom told me she wants to read this story when it's done. What to do, what to do...

QOTD: Where is the last place you've been where you felt completely out of place?
I always feel out of place in new situations, but like all such feelings, it passes with time. Or you get used to it.