2 - Return to Suneo (1)

Serin stared at the wicker basket sitting next to her. She ran her fingers over the smooth wood of the handles. Her fingers trailed along the rim and the thin linen cloth that was tucked into its corners, tugging on it gently as she looked over the contents of the basket. Three bundles wrapped in linen, each tied with strands of string, were piled neatly inside. They were warm and smelled like freshly baked bread. There was also a box of tea and a small bag of seeds.

They were gifts for the castle gardener. The cranky old man had a gift with flowers. She sighed as she covered the basket up again, neatly folding her fingers over each other as she squeezed her hands, burying down the anxiety brewing in her stomach. That wasn't to say that she feared the man. What is a gardener to a noblewoman? But for as long as she could remember, Mr. Corrins worked as the groundskeeper and gardener, and he'd always had that gruff countenance about him when she was a child.

She sighed, her hands tightening into fists. Well, it was a necessary visit. At least she could reconcile herself to the fact that she was doing a good deed. Mr. Corrins's health was ailing him, and as the daughter of a duke, it was her duty to meet with their subjects— especially when they were loyal servants. Still... the thought of spending time with him unnerved her.

"Haah," she exhaled, resigning herself to her fate. Her hands twitched at her sides like the hesitant, fluttering pattern of a faltering butterfly. Her blank gaze stared at the rolling scenery outside the carriage window.

"My lady!" her lady's maid exclaimed, leaning forward from the seat in front of her. "You look so pale! Is everything alright?"

Eunji was sweet to notice. She nodded her head, forcing a small smile. She hoped that it would be enough to fool the girl. Eunji was very kind and lovely, but Serin knew things would escalate quickly if she left it up to her to resolve things.

"Are you sure? Are you hungry at all? We could stop for some lunch after meeting with the gardener!"

She shook her head. "I'm not hungry. Just a bit... nervous."

Eunji nodded sympathetically. "Mr. Corrins is a scary man. It's a wonder anyone dares visit him at all! You're an angel, my lady. A saintess, even. I'm sure anyone would be a fool to refuse you."

Serin let out a faint laugh, face flushing an innocent pink.

The carriage pulled up to a small wooden gate. The gardener used to live on the castle grounds, but he had recently moved to his daughter's home, his son taking up the mantle when Mr. Corrins was too ill to do the work. But it was clear the property was well cared for, with lines of tulips and beautiful flowers open in full bloom and arranged in delicately placed rows along the stone wall holding the wooden gate.

She sighed. Eunji's eyes met her own.

"Don't worry, my lady. Everything will go just fine. I'm certain of it." Her gentle and reassuring voice soothed Serin's nerves. Eunji stood up once the carriage had arrived at a stop and waited for the coachman to open the door. "Don't forget the gifts! I've never met a person who would refuse a gift from someone as pretty as you!"

Serin laughed lightly at her words, watching as Eunji exited the carriage. The coachman gently took the hand she offered and helped her down the steps. The lady sighed once more, walking towards the house and disappearing among the blossoming flowers. Her steps were soft, almost hesitant, as if she feared leaving behind footprints on the firm ground. As they neared the gate and knocked on it, she gently looped her arm through her maid's, trying to calm her pounding heart. They heard a clamor and a bark at the noise, the dog beyond the wall scratching at the wooden gate.

"I'm coming, I'm coming," a rough voice replied. Footsteps came closer, accompanied by the sound of the iron latch clicking. With an audible click and creak, the massive oak doors opened, revealing the old gardener's tall and rugged figure— broad shoulders, thick arms made strong by decades of labor, and strong wrinkles that seemed carved out of granite. Even if the wrinkles were hard-pressed and ironed to hide his age, his skin was still tanned and dark with sunspots dotting his face and arms, making him appear much older than he really was.

He gazed curiously upon them with squinted eyes, looking at the maid and then her mistress with a gaze that Serin couldn't quite place. "My lady. What can we do for you this mornin'?"

"We've come to call on you, Mr. Corrins," Eunji provided. Serin relaxed a bit, her tense and raised shoulders sitting in a more proper posture. The girls settled into their routine— Eunji did the talking, and Serin would offer a sentence or two, nodding the rest of the time.

"Is that so?" he asked, voice gruff and scratchy. The girls exchanged looks. Serin paled, but Eunji gave her a firm look. There would be no escaping out of this one. "Then please, walk with me inside. We have company today."

"O-oh, we—we wouldn't want to bother," Serin interjected, thrusting the basket in her hands out to the old man. "We-we've heard that you've been poorly, so—"

Before she could continue, he caught sight of the basket in her grasp, his gaze shifting over to the fabric wrapped around the top. The gardener's lips turned upward slightly.

"What is in there, eh? Why did you bring these?"

She swallowed thickly, glancing between Eunji and the basket, eyeing her for help.

"They're for you, Mr. Corrins. Her ladyship wanted to bring you a small parcel as a show of her support in your time of ailment."

His eyebrows shot up. "Aye? And what is it you'd give to a poor old man like me?"

Serin blushed, fumbling for her answer as she struggled to maintain eye contact with the old man. The basket felt heavier than before, and her mind suddenly filled with images of how much she had wrestled with herself as she had prepared the gift for the man. What would he like? What would he need? She didn't know anything about plants, but she had taken to spending time in the kitchens with the cook when she had been bored.

"Bread and tea," she mumbled, looking down.

He glanced away from her for a moment, shaking his head, before letting out a loud laugh and slapping himself on the knee, his laugh echoing throughout the garden.

Eunji blinked rapidly, staring at the old man, clearly bewildered. "Why are you laughing, sir?" she asked, frowning. "I don't think there's anything funny about her ladyship's kindness," she defended.

"No, my dear lady, your lady is far too kind, but this..." he reached and accepted the basket in his hands, eyeing its contents as the linen cloth covering the goods shifted with the movement. "It seems she knows my weakness. Please, come in. Take a seat," he said, bowing in greeting.

The gardener escorted the ladies to his front door, opening it slightly and inviting them inside. The house was full of chatter and laughter, the sound of the clanging pots and pans filling the space of the kitchen and sitting room. A few small faces popped out from the kitchen, their gazes trailing up and down Serin and Eunji as they passed. Some smiled at her shyly while others greeted her softly.

"Please excuse the mess, my lady," Mr. Corrins apologized, setting the basket on the kitchen counter. "My son has returned home today, and it caught us by surprise."

"Returned home?" Eunji asked with concern. "Why, was he wounded?" Mr. Corrins's youngest son, Samyule, had gone off to fight in the war. The poor scullery maids wouldn't stop talking about it, mourning the loss of the handsome young squire as if he had already died. No one faulted them— the war had been brutal and casualties were high. But to come home so suddenly, and with no note preceding his arrival either...

"No, no," he assured, pulling out two chairs and motioning for them to take a seat at the table. The girls obliged him, settling in with anticipation. "Haven't you heard? The war is over now."

Serin stood up quickly. "I-it's over?" she cried. Relief washed over her body as she felt her heart begin to beat again. It was finally over!

"Yes. They have returned, and he's been promoted to Captain. He's resting in the room right now, or I'd've grabbed him by the ear so he could pay his respects to you, Lady Serin."

She tucked a golden curl behind her ear. "I-it's alright, n-no need for that." Eunji giggled, but her own thoughts were far away. If the war was over, why hadn't her father arrived yet? Why hadn't they gotten any notice from the imperial palace? A pang of fear struck through her chest as she thought of her father. They had fallen into the habit of exchanging letters throughout the war when it was permitted, but the last correspondence she had received from him was at least eight months old. Had something happened to him? Was he injured during the war? Did his letter get lost, or worse, stolen? Or perhaps he had been captured before he got the chance to even write one?

"We'll need to prepare a feast," Eunji's voice pulled Serin back to reality, snapping her out of her panic. She looked at the maid with wide eyes. "For our brave Knights, that is," Eunji added with a smile. Her eyes softened, turning to face Serin and taking her hand, giving it a gentle squeeze to reassure her. "We should return and begin preparations as soon as we can."

Mr. Corrins nodded, standing up from his seat. "I'll lead you out, then."

The girls thanked him quietly, deep in thought, and followed after the old gardener, making their way back to the carriage. There will be much to do before the Knights return, Serin thought, beginning to plan as she watched the little house fade from their view.

⚔️⚔️⚔️

Our first look at Serin, and the start of a new arc.

Have an idea for this story? Feel free to comment and let me know. I love reading comments and appreciate every one of them :). Please don't forget to add to your library or vote - it might take a few moments, but it'll help others see this story as well!

QOTD: When I first posted this chapter on WebNovel, I had just updated the cover - I think it looks pretty good :P. Do you judge books by their covers?
I do. I think any self-respecting author would take the time to make sure their book looks as nice as possible if they really cared about their story.