Mary and Me

I walked with Mary at my side. Marlene had homework, Dorcas was with Mark, Pandora was with Xeno, and Lily had patrol so we were sneaking out alone. We were three months into school and Remus and Lily seemed determined to have me around. 

Before I felt like an outsider in their friend group; I only just met James and Peter but soon it felt normal for me to hang out with them. Sure, Marlene was closer with Dorcas, Lily and James were attached at the hip, and Sirius and Remus always had an inside joke going but Mary was there. I shouldn't worry as a whole, we were all close. Plus Mary told me the password to the common room and the rest was history. We got to the quidditch pitch by nightfall laughing.

"That snotty little snail," Mary said. I laughed hard.

"I know! What a way to think," I laughed. She rolled her eyes.

"Hey, can I ask you a Sirius question?" I nodded, head tilted up.

"What?"

"Well, it's a Sirius question," she said. I looked at her oddly.

"Yes, I'm ready," she grinned.

"Are you ready to answer my Sirius question?" I tilted my head confused then slapped my forehead.

"What about him?" I asked, annoyed. Just the mention of his name sent a weird shiver through me.

"He has been pretty caring lately," she said. I rolled my eyes. Mary was always trying to set me up. Me and Marlene, ever since it worked out for Dorcas, she thinks she's a matchmaker.

"He's not. He being annoying if anything," I said but I knew it wasn't true. Black had become very protective of me. I didn't know why but it didn't matter it would pass. He was a play boy and I wouldn't be played.

"Come on, he cares. Admit it," she pushed. I'd admit he was more attentive and more friendly but that didn't mean anything, right?

"He doesn't care but he is being nicer," I muttered. She laughed and we looked at the sky.

"Do you think the stars decide our destiny?" She asked suddenly. I shook my head and lay down. Mary followed. The grass was damp and cold.

"I think people decide their fate. However, I like to think that there's someone out there; above us all who's taking care of me and has a plan. Which would be great 'cause I don't," she laughed a little then sighed.

"That's a nice thing to believe. I would like to believe someone is out there caring for me but," she paused as a branch snapped and the sounds came close. "I just don't know," I nodded.

"It's easier for me to believe that I'm taken care of and loved than to think I'm on my own," she hummed as the sounds came close. I sat up and saw those black eyes. I looked up and saw the full moon. I didn't think to check, I forgot. 

"Mary," I said shakily. "Go to the castle, I'm right behind you," we stood and slowly walked away. The werewolf walked out of the shadows. He was big and tall, his black orbs watched us. Mary turned to walk down the stairs.

"I'm going to run," she said. I nodded as I got to the stairs. I turned to walk down when Mary screamed pulling me down. I stumbled and looked back. The werewolf was right by the exit but the shaggy black dog blocked him. 

A deer was running across the field and Mary pulled me. "Come on," she yelled. I ran with her. We ran to the broom closet and grabbed our brooms. Flying up to the Gryffindor window, Marlene let us in. Dorcas was asleep as we fell in, panting for air.

"Are you okay?" She asked. We nodded. Hot tears fell down my face. I forgot. Marlene embraced me tightly. I let my head fall to her shoulder.

"It was a huge creature. Not sure what," I said. I knew that creature was a student, and they didn't know what they were doing. Mary looked at me raising an eyebrow but nodded.

"Yeah, found us on the quidditch pitch," she said getting up. I sniffed and wiped my eyes. I had to get to my room. "We're okay though," I nodded and stood, walking back to the window. I picked up my broom and got ready to leave.

"I'll see you guys tomorrow," I said. Marlene came to the window pulling her robe tight around her.

"Will you be okay heading back?" I shrugged, casting The Disillusionment Charm on me and the broom.

"Sure, it's not like I can't go back. I'll see you at breakfast," I pushed off and flew to the other tower. The flight was short and soon I made it. I hovered and cast Alohamoram. The window cracked open and I flew in softly. When I landed I set my broom under my bed, which sat right by the window. My roommate Evelyn sat up.

"Arabella?" I looked at her confused, my eyes half shut. I faked a yawn.

"The window opened, sorry. I tried to shut it before it chilled the room," she sighed and stood to help me. "Sorry, Evelyn," I said as we shut it together. She waved me off, brushing her raven hair behind her.

"It's okay. But where have you been lately?" My brain faltered. I didn't know what to say, I never thought they'd notice.

"What do you mean?" I asked. She rolled her eyes.

"Out late, never in the background, and you haven't been sitting with Pandora. I understand why you might not but I thought you two were friends," she said sitting on the widow's seat. I sat down facing her, rapping my Ravenclaw robe around me.

"I love Dora but she's with Xeno a lot and while I don't mind third-wheeling," I said rolling my eyes. She laughed softly. "But it's not my favorite. And I guess I've just been hanging out with Remus and Mary more," she nodded. She knew I was close with Remus and sometimes studied with him and Lily.

"That makes sense, just don't totally disappear," I tilted my head and raised an eyebrow, knowing better than that. She sighed. "Olivia, Riley, Sophia, and I are in a spat," I frowned sad for her. "I guess you don't realize what you have until it's gone," she sighed and we stood.

"Good night, Arabella," she said walking to bed.

"Good night Evelyn," I said laying down.