I - THE RETURN

   "Judith?"

   Judith turned and raised a brow as she saw Elena walking toward her. Founders day had been a disaster, to say the least. Between the last of the tomb vampires wanting to take their revenge, and John Gilbert using the old Gilbert device to try and complete another vampire roundup, it had all ended in literal flames. Stefan and Judith had been lucky, Elena and Alaric able to stop the pair from being taken when the device sent the pair on their knees in agony, but Damon hadn't been as lucky.

   With some reluctant help from Bonnie Bennett, they'd been able to get him out of the building before the fire trapped him inside, but the same couldn't be said for everyone else in there. 

   "No Stefan?" Judith raised a brow at her.

   Elena shook her head. "I'm gonna check on Jeremy before I head to the hospital. He's gonna meet me there." She said, biting her lip as she stared at her ancestor for a long moment. "Are you, um..." She hesitated.

   "I'm fine." Judith knew what she trying to say. Both Salvatore brothers had given her the same look before she left, not wanting to spend the rest of the night being treated like she'd breakdown at any second. She refused to let the memories of that night, the similarity of that night to this one cripple her. "You don't need to worry about me."

   "You're family." Elena told her softly. "Of course I'm going to worry about my family."

   Judith let out a breath, looking back at her descendant with an unclear expression. She'd been skeptical of Elena at first, the face that she held making wary to trust her, family or not. She'd trusted Katherine Pierce once, believed the lies about their friendship being genuine, and it ended in a tragedy all of Katherine's making. She made no effort to hide her feelings from Elena, but it didn't seem to deter her from trying to get to know Judith. The smiles and kinds words were real, and despite being a mirror image to the Pierce woman, Elena had yet to show any signs she held any other similarity to her other than her looks. 

   So she was slowly trying to see past it.

   "I appreciate it." Judith said quietly after a moment, not missing how the corners of Elena's lips twitched up into a small smile. "But really, I'm fine." She nodded, as the two fell into step together. "I spent over a century replaying those memories in my head, they stopped having an effect after a while."

   "I can't even imagine..." Elena trailed off, shaking her head. "I'm sorry you had to go through that."

   "Not your fault." Judith gave an unbothered shrug. She'd came to terms with what had been her fate a long time ago. No amount of sympathies or apologies could change the past, nor were they coming from the people that should be actually giving them. 

   Not that Judith could imagine herself accepting them if they were around to say it. 

   "Doesn't mean it's right." Elena said, and the pair fell into silence after that. The Gilbert house came into sight, and Judith followed Elena up the porch steps and waited as the girl let herself inside. Elena glanced at her as she pushed open the door, giving a small nod. "Do you want to come in? I won't be long, then you can come with to the hospital, if you want?" She offered.