Chapter Nineteen

Forever - Drake

Grace, Now

The Half-Time Show used to be my favorite part of the Super Bowl

The Half-Time Show used to be my favorite part of the Super Bowl. It would've been an honor to participate, as well as a career goal. There were rumors the NFL planned to ask Disgrace to perform at last year's Bowl, but the plane crash put an end to that. It put an end to many things, yet for some reason, I wasn't one of them.

This game, however, may finally do me in.

"They're going to do a QB sneak," Dad states, standing to my right. Frederick is next to him, listening to my father's every word. Aidan is seated in an armchair beside me, struggling to load a cartoon on his phone for Josie. She keeps demanding to watch a trash truck go surfing. "They only need three yards, so the offensive line will push forward, and Payton will come behind them with the ball."

We're in a private suite two floors above the field. It's a functional design with a sofa, chairs, a drink station, and a small kitchenette. I haven't utilized any of it. In fact, I haven't moved from my spot by the picture window. Occasionally, I'll glance back at one of the televisions to see a replay, or listen to the commentators. Other than that, I've had my nose pressed to the glass.

My father has proven to be more informative than the men paid to narrate the game. I'm familiar with the basic rules of football, but they are always creating new ones. As a former quarterback and three-time Super Bowl winner, Dad's knowledge is extensive. He's able to call plays before the teams conduct them.

The center hikes the ball to Payton, who pretends to hand it off to the player behind him

The center hikes the ball to Payton, who pretends to hand it off to the player behind him. Payton jumps higher than I would've thought humanly possible, catapulting himself over the colliding teams. His uniform blends in with the others, and I lose sight of him.

Aidan rises from his seat, having finally found Josie's trash truck cartoon. He turns, walking to the television at the back of the room for a better look. I follow my twin brother, gnawing on my thumbnail.