Chapter Eleven

Carol of the Bells - August Burns Red

Grace, Now

On the eastern shore of the Delaware River, Aidan Reeves and Olivia Allard have made their forever home. A massive, yellow farmhouse sits on the riverbank, a dock extending into the brackish water. A tire swing claims a branch on an ancient oak tree, swaying in the cool breeze. The twins race around the front lawn, bundled in wool hats and mittens.

 The twins race around the front lawn, bundled in wool hats and mittens

Snow clings to the roof, and fake icicles dangle from the eaves. Below the porch, a snowman guards the steps, one of his eyes missing. A collection of winter boots forms a haphazard line by the front door. A fire roars in the living room, stockings hang from the hearth, and presents circle the ten-foot balsam fir. From the kitchen, mouthwatering scents permeate the air—caramelized onions, buttery potatoes, and glazed ham.

And there's a fucking turkey prowling the halls.

I set my clutch on the console table in the foyer, staring at Glenn the Gobbler. He fans his tailfeathers, bobs his head, then continues by with caution.

"Oh, my God!" Mom exclaims, entering the house behind me. "Why is it inside?"

"He needs company!" Kendall shouts from the kitchen. "Give him a break, Grand-mère. It's Christmas."

Dad is next through the door. He flinches when he sees the bird. "Jesus H. Christ. Aidan!"

"What?" my brother yells from somewhere on the second floor.

Dad tugs Mom away from the animal like he's unsure if it'll attack. He tilts his head up the stairs, exclaiming, "This is a wild turkey, not a golden retriever!"

 He tilts his head up the stairs, exclaiming, "This is a wild turkey, not a golden retriever!"

"Mind your business," Aidan grumbles, appearing on the landing. He jogs down the steps, buttoning his dress shirt. "And Merry fuckin' Christmas."

"Merry Christmas," my parents mumble, escaping to the kitchen.

Aidan pulls me in for a hug. "I thought Steph and Payton were riding with you guys."

I back away so he can see me sign, They drove in her car.