014. bad news

"Okay, you sure you have everything?" Spencer asks, helping Clara put her backpack on.

"Uh-huh." She nods.

"Positive?" Spencer asks.

"Daddy, you're overthinking again." Clara huffs.

"You--" He frowns. "You're 7. You're not allowed to be annoyed yet."

"Yes, I am. Human emotions are in little people too." Clara states.

"That-- okay. You're not supposed to use my own words against me, got it?" Spencer tells her making her giggle. "Come on. We leave now, I'll still have time to take you to school.

"Do you have everything for work?" She asks.

"Yes, Clara." Spencer nods.

"Are you sure?" She asks.

"I'm sure." He rolls his eyes, realizing what she's doing.

"Positive?" She asks with a small smile, able to sense her father's annoyance.

"Clara Eleanor Reid, if you do not get out of this ap--" He's cut off as Clara runs out of the apartment and to the staircase. "Wait for me!" He hurriedly shuts and locks the door as she goes down the first flight of stairs.

+++

Clara walks into the living room after getting ready for bed, frowning at her dad sitting at a keyboard.

"Where'd you get that?" She asks.

"I bought it tonight." Spencer informs.

"Since when can you play the piano?" She asks, giving her father a quizzical look.

"It's all essentially math, honey." Spencer says.

"Wow." Clara mumbles.

"What?" Spencer asks.

"You can ruin music, too." She frowns.

Spencer frowns at her.

"You're getting the common teenager personality a little too soon." Spencer comments.

"Do we blame nature or nurture for that?" Clara asks.

"All right." Spencer gets up. "Time for bed, young lady."

"It was just a question." Clara says as Spencer picks her up, carrying her to her room.

"When you wake up tomorrow, be the sweet seven year old again, okay?" Spencer says.

"I don't control my moods." She holds her hands up.

+++

Emily tenses up when she feels a hand on her shoulder.

"I knew you were watching me." She says.

"What's the expression? Keep your friends close, your enemies under surveillance?" Doyle questions, walking to the other side of the table.

"I've been here for 2 hours." Emily says. "You should know better than to keep a lady waiting."

"It seems hypocritical. Seeing as I had to wait 7 years." Doyle says. He sits down across from her.

"Hello, Ian."

"Hello, Lauren. Oh, wait. Lauren Reynolds died in a car accident, didn't she?"

"What do you want?"

"You. Oh, not today. Don't worry about that. But soon."

"I've got a glock leveled at your crotch. What's to stop me from taking you and the little ones out right now?" She questions.