001. socks

Spencer gets home from the team's case in Seattle. He gets home late, quietly going into the apartment.

"Hey." Ellie, the babysitter, quietly greets.

"Hi. Is she asleep?" Spencer asks.

"Yep. Been out for a few hours now." Ellie informs.

"Thank you." Spencer says, giving her money.

"No problem." She says, the two bidding goodbyes before she leaves.

Spencer creeps into his daughter's room, looking over at the one year old in the crib. He tries to quietly walk over, but steps on a toy that squeaks.

Spencer panics, quickly moving his foot, panickily glancing between the toy and his child. He stays frozen until he's certain that Clara didn't wake up making him sigh in relief.

Spencer goes over to the crib and looks down, carefully moving a bit of Clara's hair out of her face.

+++

JJ, Derek, and Elle are gathered around Spencer's desk and they have a lit birthday cake on his desk. Spencer is sitting down and has Clara on his lap. He's wearing a big birthday cake hat that the others made him wear.

"Make a wish." JJ says. Spencer blows the candles and they either don't go out or only go out for a second before reigniting.

"Oh, come on, man. Blow, baby! Blow!" Derek encourages.

Clara giggles as she watches the candles stay lit, waving her hand through the smoke.

"I thought you were full of hot air, Reid." Elle comments.

"Come on, Reid." Derek laughs as the candles still don't go out.

"They're trick candles, Spence, okay? They're gonna come back on every time." JJ tells him. Spencer harshly blows on the cake, the candles once again lighting back up.

"Oh, mommy to the rescue." Derek teases.

"Mommy?" Spencer asks.

"Ignore him." JJ says. They start to take the candles off the cake while Spencer gets up and walks over to where Gideon is. Clara stays in the seat, watching the cake get sliced.

"Hey, Spence." JJ calls. "First piece for the birthday boy." She says, holding a cake out to him and smiling. Spencer walks back over, JJ giving him the cake. Spencer sits down, putting Clara back on his lap.

"Sorry, guys." They all turn to Hotch. "Party's over."

Clara sticks her hand in her dad's piece of cake and crams whatever she gets into her mouth, smearing it on her face. Spencer grimaces as he watches her.

+++

"Clara, you need to wear socks." Spencer says.

"No!" She argues, sitting on her feet.

"Clara." Spencer gives her a stern look as the toddler only giggles. "Clara, please, just let me put your socks on you."

"No." She shakes her head, still giggling.

"Honey, please." Spencer begs, sighing when the girl doesn't relent. "It's too cold outside for sandals. You need closed toe shoes."

"No!" She pouts.

Spencer drops his head onto the couch, sighing as he tries to think of a way to convince her to put socks on. Clara tilts her head at her father's action and gently pats the back of his head.