012. haircuts

Spencer rushes into the elementary school, going to the principal's office. He spots Clara sitting in one of the chairs outside the office and reading a book.

"Clary." He calls, making his way over to her. She looks up at his voice, Spencer frowning once he sees her black eye. "Hey." He crouches in front of her. "Hey. Are you okay?" He asks. He cradles her face, moving her head to get a better look at the bruise.

"My eye kinda hurts." Clara says.

"Yeah, I bet." He murmurs. "What happened?"

"Miles took my backpack and he wouldn't give it back." Clara explains. "I asked him a few times, but he wouldn't so I hit him... and then he hit me back."

"What?" Spencer frowns.

Just in time, the door to the office opens, Miles and his parents walking out. Spencer looks at the boy, two bits of tissue stuffed up both nostrils to stop the blood.

"Dr. Reid." His mother greets. "I am so sorry for Miles' actions. Trust me, he'll be punished at home." She says. "Miles." She nudges his shoulder.

"I'm sorry I took your bag, Clara." He sighs.

"Uh... thanks." Spencer says. "I'm sorry she had to revert to... physical violence."

"Yeah." The woman mumbles. "Come on, son."

"He was just messing with the girl." Miles' dad says as they walk away.

"Messing with--" Spencer glares at his retreating figures. Taking someone else's property for fun is not a good prank.

"Shut up, Frank." His wife says in an exasperated tone.

"Dr. Reid." The principal steps out.

"Stay out here, baby." Spencer tells his daughter who nods. He follows the principal into the office.

"Suspended? For what?" Spencer questions.

"For physical violence." The principal says.

"Suspend the little-- little punk that took her stuff and gave her a black eye." Spencer says.

"She gave him a bloody nose." The principal reminds.

"In self defense." Spencer reasons.

"They both hit and they're both facing the consequences." The principal states. "I'm not picking sides here."

Spencer sighs, rubbing his face.

"Okay. So-- so she's suspended tomorrow and Friday. She'll only miss two days. A little four day weekend." The principal says.

"Okay. Thank you for your time." Spencer manages to say before leaving. He walks out of the office. "Come on, honey." He grabs her bag in one hand and her hand in the other and the two leave.

"Am I in trouble?" Clara asks as they walk out of the building.

"I-- with the school, yes." He says. "With me? Eh." Spencer stops them and kneels down in front of her. "Look, you know that violence is never the answer."

"I was sticking up for myself." Clara says. "I tried to use words and bribery first. Hitting was the last resort."

"I know." Spencer says. "Which is why I'm not mad at you. But also try to get a teacher or somebody else before you hit."

"Okay." Clara nods.

"Okay." Spencer kisses her on the forehead. "You hungry?" She nods. "Let's get some food. Your favorite. Then we go home and ice your eye."

+++

Spencer gets home and goes into the kitchen, a little shocked he was able to get home before his daughter.

It's only a few minutes later when she does return home.

"Clary!" He calls out.

"Daddy!" She screams, the excitement clear in the six year old's voice. She runs to the kitchen, stopping and shrieking when she sees him.

"What? What?" He looks around for something dangerous.

"You cut your hair." She pouts, looking up at his boyband hair.

"I-- yeah. Yeah, what? You don't like it?" He asks, messing with a few of his strands.

"It's short." She whines. "How am I supposed to braid that?" She asks, stomping her foot on the ground.

"I... you can still do all your tiny braids. It's not that short." Spencer says.

Clara huffs, stomping to her room.

"Wha-- I--" Spencer frowns. "It's just a haircut." He mumbles.

+++

Spencer gets home, Clara sitting on the couch and watching TV. She looks up when he walks in.

"Nooo!" She whines.

"What?" Spencer asks.

"You made your hair shorter. I can't braid that." She complains.

"I-- I'm sorry, honey." Spencer apologizes.

Clara grumbles under her breath, turning the TV off and trudging to her room.

+++

"Clary?" Spencer gently knocks on her door. 

"Go away, traitor." She calls out making Spencer sigh.

"I have some apology cookies." Spencer says, holding the pack of Oreos. "Can I come in?"

"The cookies can." Clara replies.

"Cookies can't walk. I have to bring them in." Spencer says.

"Fine." Clara says after a moment.

Spencer opens the door and goes in. He sits at the end of her bed and puts the pack of Oreos down, the girl pulling them closer.

"I'm very sorry I cut my hair without your permission, honey." Spencer tells her. "I promise, I'll never do it again without discussing it first."

"Thank you." She says, satisfied with his apology and she stuffs a cookie in her mouth. Spencer's lips quirk up in amusement.

"But when it grows out, you can braid it again all you want." Spencer says.

"What if I outgrow the interest before your hair grows back out?" Clara questions.

Spencer starts to answer, but stops when he realizes the possible truth to her words. Braiding his hair could just be a childhood interest and he completely ripped that away from her. By time his hair grows out, she may want nothing to do with him or his hair by whatever age that happens.

Spencer suddenly finds himself wishing he never cut his hair.

+++

Spencer rubs his head, wishing he could diffuse the headache he's had for days. Clara sits at the table, eating her cereal, oblivious to his distress.

"Daddy!" She calls making him wince. "I'm all done." She gives him the bowl.

"Great." He mumbles, taking the bowl. He quickly washes it, drying and putting it back up. "Go get your stuff. We have to go."

"Okay." She runs down the hall, her footsteps echoing in his skull.

Spencer groans, rubbing his temples, even if he knows it won't help.