I recoiled when he reached a hand out towards my face, throwing him the nastiest look I could, and it felt like my eyebrows were going to fall off my face with how harshly I had them drawn in fright.

Sadly, my flinch earned me an involuntary step back, my foot making contact with my container of soup, knocking it between my heel and the wooden pillars of the porch, which to my luck clipped the lid at the right angle and sent the contents of the container pouring out onto the wooden plates below us.

"No!" I breathed out. Thankfully I had a large batch at home I could go back to give to Josh, but still, he made me waste good vegetable broth.

Though, he didn't seem to care, as he ran a few fingers through the hair by the side of my face, unbeknownst to the wet puddle now at our feet. "What are you here for?" He whispered.

My breath shook as I tilted my head to the side, trying my best to avoid his proximity. I was cornered by the wall of their house now. He tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear and lowered his head so that his mouth ghosted my ear. I began to tremble. "A quick fuck?" He breathed, and I felt him grasp my behind with a strong and harsh hand, causing me to jump, a sharp gasp leaving my lips.

Coming to my senses, I shrugged him off and placed both hands against his chest, shoving him away from me. "Get off me!" I spat as he stumbled backwards, a look of offence on his face.

"The fuck is wrong with you?" The look on his face was mimicable. Maybe I should have defended myself more. Denied his words even? But I didn't. Instead, I hurried towards the door and began knocking on it furiously.

I paused, waiting for a response, but the sound of arguing from inside had stopped by now, and I feared they had all retreated to the garage, too far to hear my knocks. My fingers anxiously tapped against my thigh and I could feel the presence of the boy behind me still, thankfully not making any more moves towards me.

"For fucks sake," I mumbled under my breath, pounding on the door again, frustration filling my veins. I fought against the painful lump in my throat and focused on keeping my breaths as even as I could muster.

Then, Jake's figure appeared at the now open door, smiling warmly when he saw me. But, when his eyes caught those of the boy behind me, his lip curled up in disgust.

"The fuck are you doing here?" Jake spat, with such aggression, I even felt scared of him. He reached out for me, and before I knew it, I had been manoeuvred past him into the house. I took a few steps inside to create some distance and before I knew it, Jake was glancing at me one last time as if to check I was still there, as he stepped out onto the porch, slamming the door behind him. It was harder to hear what was going on outside than the other way round, so I stood in the eerie silence of the hallway. Stunned. Scared. Relieved. Confused?

"Layla!" A soft voice called from behind me, and I turned around, a bit embarrassed at being caught staring at a door. Ronnie bounded down the hallway to me, "Hey girl I haven't seen you in ages, how've you been?"

I let out a shaky breath, smiling back at her as she led me through the house into the living room, "Ah, yeah good, you?" She led me through the house to the living room, where we both took spots on opposite ends of the couch. She cuddled into the couch, wrapping a blanket around her legs as I sat, stiff backed with my hands in my lap.

"Yeah I've been good, excited for the weather to warm up again. I hate the cold," She said, shrugging her shoulders excitedly.

I was quiet for a bit, and realised it was rude of me not to make conversation, "So, um... why don't you drive to school with your brothers?" I asked, trying my hardest to distract myself from focusing on the events unfolding outside. It felt like I was dreaming.