Chapter 28: Late for Dinner

Start from the beginning

Kokomi: "I'm glad to see you were able to follow me in. I was beginning to worry you wouldn't be allowed entry..."

Y/N: "Huh? Wait, that's something that could happen?!"

Kokomi: "Hehe, supposedly that is the case. The legend says that only when the spirit veins connecting this place with Watatsumi Island are flowing smoothly and when a person's heart is "as clear as water" might they be allowed to make the journey here. So then, it would seem I am quite good company for this expedition."

Y/N: "I..."

Kokomi: "Come now, get yourself out of that pool and let us depart from here. We still need to head deeper within after all— so as to discover where it is that you once called home."

Y/N: "r–right... where I once called home... You, uh, you wouldn't happen to have a map on hand, would you?"

Kokomi: "Hehe, I'm afraid not. You will just have to rely on my guidance for the time being, but do not worry, I know the lay of the land quite well. And soon it will open up much more than this narrow cavern might lead you to believe."

Y/N: "Oh? Well, that's... that's good..."

Kokomi: "Wondering if perhaps your legacy is that of a cave-dwelling society? Hehe, worry not, you will find this area to be much more grandiose than initial impressions might let on..."

* Y/N'S POV *

I had only just gotten to the edge of this pool of water before the Leader of Watatsumi's Army had started walking off deeper into this cave system that we seemed to have fallen into... Kokomi seemed to have predicted that I would be too distracted taking in my surroundings and I was actually able to catch up with her pretty fast despite all the distractions that caught my attention. Things like the unique fish that existed in the pool of water I just left, the unique appearance of the rocky walls of this cave as well as the flora that decorated it all.

The cavern that Kokomi was leading me through really wasn't all that long in actuality, and what I was presented with upon reaching the end of that cavernous hallway, it looked completely alien to anything I had ever seen in this lifetime...

Kokomi: "The Dragonbone Flowers seem to be prospering quite well..."

Y/N: "Woah..."

Kokomi: "And, hmm, it would seem that the Vishaps are not currently active in the area. That's good, I would like us to avoid any conflict with them if we can avoid it."

Y/N: "Huh? Vishaps? What are those...?"

Kokomi: "It might be for the best that you don't find out for the time being. They're not too much of a threat, but... the people of Watatsumi would rather not see them come to harm if we can avoid it."