Chapter: 39

N A T A L I A

Callum remained by my side in the days following the incident.

I was no longer in pain physically. We didn't broach the topic of what had transpired. Instead, focused solely on my recovery.

My physical strength had returned and my abilities were back at full capacity, yet a lingering sense of emptiness gnawed at my consciousness.

I had been pregnant, a fact I discovered amidst the pain, overhearing Callum and the doctor discussing the diagnosis of an ectopic pregnancy.

The emotional turmoil that ensued upon learning of the lost pup left me feeling ashamed and burdened with guilt, wondering if greater caution on my part could have prevented the tragedy.

As Callum resumed training the pack, I found solace in crying silently within the confines of the shower, mourning the loss of both our pup and my mother.

It hadn't even been a month, and so much had happened. Being a Luna, leaving Caia, my mother's death, the loss of innocent lives, learning about my father and then— the pregnancy, all happening within a month. I was overwhelmed.

My wolf provided comfort during moments of profound despair, sharing in the sadness that gripped me.

Callum's protective presence had intensified, he would return home early from training and rarely allowed me out of his sight. He most likely sensed the depth of my sorrow through our connection, as I could sense his.

He was devastated, even if he didn't voice it.

With the loss of the pup, Callum didn't argue with me about anything. He had released Rhea almost the following day, to which I was grateful for because my sister had been my biggest support.

She oscillated between the pack and Caia at learning what had transpired, not stopping until she was sure that I was alright.

More often than not when she was present, I observed her and Callum engaging in discussions about clan politics and strategies for strengthening both our pack and the clan, working tirelessly to fortify our borders against future threats.

I never questioned them, and only prayed things remained like that.

On the fourth day since our loss, I resolved to go for a run, recognising the need for my wolf to shift as I had suppressed her the whole week.

As I shifted, I felt the familiar stretch and ache in every fibre of my being, but with each stride, the cold air served as a soothing balm, imparting a sense of serenity amidst the turmoil within.

I completed one circuit around the pack grounds before heading back home, not wanting to overexert myself. My wolf managed to express some of her frustration and sadness during the run.

Later that day, as I sat on the sofa engrossed in a book that I couldn't focus on, Ivy and Noah made their appearance.

"Hey, Nattie," Noah greeted, taking a seat beside me. "How are you doing?"

"I'm okay," I replied, though my attention remained fixed on the book, my mind preoccupied with swirling thoughts.

"Hmm, would've been more convincing if the book wasn't upside down," Noah remarked with a hint of concern, gently correcting its position in my hand.