No-Show/The Accident

Start from the beginning

"I miss you, mom." I continued to chew on my pencil. "Aww, I miss you too honey. So, how is your first week of school so far?" Of course she would ask this question. "Well, I made some friends. Some of them a little too welcoming compared to others." My voice faltered slightly on the last few words. I swallowed, trying to calm the lump of annoyance that resided in my throat. Mom must've heard the change in my voice, "What happened? Did someone say something? Was it a boy?"

"Yes, it was a boy. No, he didn't say anything, but he may as well have. He just came off as really rude. And kind of weird." I heard my mom gasp, "Ooh, do you think maybe he has a crush on you Y/N?" Edward? A crush? On me? No one who has a crush on someone acts that way. He looked at me like he wanted to tear my throat out. "I don't know, mom." "Well," She started, her voice calm, "Have you tried asking him what his problem was?" "It doesn't really matter---" I started but then I took a deep breath to calm myself, "He made me feel somewhat uncomfortable." That was an understatement. "Well, I got to go sweetie. Keep your head held high. This week will get better for you, OK?" 

"OK, mom. I love you. I'll talk to you later." I waited until after she responded before I hung up, letting my phone drop from my ear. It landed on the bed and bounced a little before planting itself near my pillows. I finished my homework and tried to go to sleep. After tossing and turning for a bit, I decided that sleep was not going to come so easy. I put in my earbuds and turned on some music. As the song "In The End" by Linkin Park played, I stared out my window. It had started to rain, the droplets hit my window with soft pangs. Thunder roared, softly at first but then it grew louder. I listened to the music mixed with the rain and thunder and slowly drifted off to sleep.

The next morning was a cold one. It had snowed overnight and the puddles outside had frozen over, leaving patches of ice everywhere. My dad took my truck earlier in the morning, so I got dressed and waited for him to come back. I wore a pair of jeans, a grey turtleneck and my favorite jacket. I had also found a pair of gloves in my dresser, so I put those on as well. As I laced up my boots, I heard my truck pulling up in the driveway. I slung my backpack over my shoulder and headed downstairs and outside, avoiding the patch of ice that lie at the bottom of the steps.  

My dad stepped out of the truck and walked over to me, grabbing my arm and helping me over the last few patches of ice. "There's so much ice." I commented, trying to watch my footing as we walked over towards my truck. "Yeah, that's why I had some new tires put on the truck. Old ones were getting pretty bald." "Oh, thank you. I was wondering why you kidnapped my truck." I laughed a little. He smiled before shifting awkwardly, "Well, I'll probably be late for dinner. I gotta head down to Mason County. Security Guard at the Grisham Mill got mauled to death by some kind of animal." He started to walk over to his car, but I stopped in place, leaning against the truck's driver side door "Some kind of animal?" I repeated, not bothering to hide the worry in my voice.

"You're not in Phoenix anymore, Y/N/N. Anyway, I figured I would lend a hand." I bit my inner cheek, worried for my dad's safety. "Be careful." He smirked, "Always am." With that we both got in our vehicles and drove off in opposite directions. 

The school day went by pretty quick once again. Before I knew it, I was headed to Biology with Eric escorting me. He rambled on about random stuff until we got to the door. Once there he said he would see me later and left so that he could make it to his class on time. I turned to walk in to my biology class and looked at what I expected to be an empty seat. But instead, I found a familiar pale figure seated, his eyes focused on me as I walked through the door. His expression was kind, unlike before. I hadn't seen him at lunch, so I figured today was going to just be another no-show. I quickly decided that this did not make me any less upset with his current actions, so I took my seat beside him quietly, ignoring his presence.