twelve

⊹₊⋆☁︎⋆⁺₊⋆ 

"Jisung! Hey, Jisung, wait up!"

Jisung had been trying to put as much distance as he possibly could between him and school, but Changbin's voice stopped him in his tracks.

"What?" he bit back.

"Wow, someone's in a good mood," Seungmin rolled his eyes, following Changbin towards the youngest.

"We're going to noraebang! Are you coming?" Changbin grinned, and Jisung shrugged.

"Probably not. I'm going home. Got stuff to do."

Changbin was about to start whining and putting on his usual act that got Jisung to cave on everything he wanted. Before he could, a buzz from Jisung's pocket drew his attention away from his friends. He motioned to them with one hand and then turned to face away.

--Mum? I'm just on my way home, are you still-

--Jisung, angel, me and your dad have been caught up with work again. We're not gonna be home for another week or so. There's been a development on the case, the head chairman has-

--You're not coming back?

--Baby, please don't interrupt. We're sorry, Jisung, but it's important. We can catch up later on the phone. I'll make it up to you, I promise. And I asked the staff to get in the ingredients for malatang! Your favourite, right?

--Mum, you know I can't-

--What, honey? Oh, Jisung, I need to run. Your dad needs me. Remember to eat well, okay? And don't work too hard!

"You know I can't eat spicy food..."

The words were mumbled, even after the line went dead, even after there was no hope of his mum hearing them. Mumbled, ignored, what difference does it make?

"Hey! Are you done? C'mon, you never come out to play with us anymore," called Changbin from behind him.

It only took a moment for Jisung's mind to be made. The call had annoyed him more than he was willing to admit. He could think of nothing worse than going back to a house full of people paid to be there.

"Sure. The one in Namsan Park? I'll pay." Jisung started walking, knowing his friends would follow.

"Seriously?! No, I'll pay, I'm gonna get so much meat it'll take a whole farm to replenish it..." Chanbin giggled in delight.

"I'm paying. I have my parent's card." Jisung's answer was final.

Making them pay for my social life is the least I can do to get back at years of emotional neglect, muttered the bitter voice that had taken up permanent residence in his head.

And he did pay. Him, Changbin and Seungmin sang their hearts out, ate as much food as they could stomach, and were joined by Felix halfway through.

In here, Jisung felt the closest he thought he could ever be to happiness. The room was small, even though he'd paid for the biggest one on offer, and if anything the smallness just emphasized the way him and his friends filled the room with life. Good friends, good music, good food. What more could a kid want?

Good parents? hissed that voice again.

It was getting harder to silence these days.

That's the reason Jisung would've given if anyone asked why he and his friends had started drinking at their age. To silence the voice in his head that got louder with each passing year.