Chapter Three: Blooming

Vivian knew she fucked up the moment she dropped that last statement on you. Seeing you have to process what she said, only to end up with an expression that would haunt her for as long as she lived was brutal.

Yet, she couldn't take it back, because in her heart, there was partial truth to her words, but not the part where she didn't want to be friends anymore. She only said that in the heat of the moment, and now she was regretting it—severely.

It wasn't rocket science to see that you did have low self-esteem, and you were putting her on a pedestal far too high for her to stand on. It did make her severely uncomfortable when you'd put yourself down, albeit subconsciously, when you would compliment her. And no matter how many times she complimented you in return, you never seemed to accept it.

And so, that day where you confessed that you worried about being too clingy and taking time away from her friends was the last straw. She could predict where this friendship was heading if she didn't do something and fast.

But... Why did she say those things out of everything she could've said? Vivian could've said she'd support you no matter what, yet she didn't. She said something horrible, that she only wanted to be friends with you at your "highest" and not at your "lowest".

What an idiot, she was.

And now, every time she saw your face at the end of class, she'd look away. Pretending to be ignoring you. In reality, it was much too painful to come to terms with what she said and did.

Vivian cherished the friendship she had with you. She really did. She loved how you were genuine and supportive, how you were aloof and a hopeless romantic at heart, and how although you two had only known each other for a few months, it felt more like years.

She felt like it was destiny to have met you, and she managed to screw up that destiny.

And while she hated how she could clearly tell you hated yourself, she hated not knowing how to help you even more. So if you continued to stay friends with her, Vivian feared your self-esteem would only get worse. She wanted to send you off, for you to learn and grow, and for you to love yourself.

Only problem was, she wished she was there to help you. Though, maybe it was better if she wasn't.

Dr. Haylee Brown could be described in three words: charming, funny, and genuine. Her first question to you was: "if you were to eat a tangerine, how would you peel it?". You told her you would use a knife to cut into the skin to make it easier to peel, and she called you idiotic. She said that you could just press your thumb into the center until the skin breaks and juice comes flying out. Then, you could peel it normally.

Why was this important? Well, apparently, changing your mindset was a lot similar to that. She said that instead of using complicated means to build self-love, like putting on make-up, you should start with what you already have. Take a deep dive into your personality at its root, and build a complete genuine love for the authentic you. The one you see in the mirror.

Honestly, you had no idea what she was blabbering about the first few sessions. But the more you talked to her, the more you could feel a new mindset taking over you.

After seeing her once a week for six weeks, you already felt a difference. When you woke up in the morning and looked in the mirror, it's not like you instantly loved every bit and piece of yourself. But instead, you tried to focus on the good parts. Like how your hair wasn't that greasy today, or that your skin had less pimples than it did yesterday.

Something... was starting to change in you. Yes, it was a slow change, but still, it was a step in the right direction.

And that wasn't the only new addition to your life. Turns out, Aidan had been serious when he said he'd be your friend. You were in the library studying for your class until a figure walked up to you. When you looked up, you were created with familiar cerulean hues and a wide grin.