"No, that's fine. I'll wait," he says with a smile. I return it and hop out of bed to start packing. Right when I'm almost done, Ryland lets a sigh out.

"What's wrong?"

"Uh, Maya just texted and said Alyx is going now."

I feel the excitement that was building up immediately diminish. "I can't go then."

"Wes-"

"No. I haven't even told him we're dating, let alone friends, so it's going to look weird showing up together. I can't."

"What if he invites you?" he suddenly asks. "Hold on." He starts typing on his phone before saying, "There. I told her to get him to invite you."

"How do you know he will?"

"I'm just hoping he will since you two haven't hung out in so long."

And after a few minutes of sitting there waiting, I see Alyx's name come across my screen. I meet Ryland's eyes before clearing my throat and answering.

"Hey," I say, trying to sound as casual as possible. "It feels like forever since I've seen your name pop up. Is your mom done hating you?"

His laugh fills my ear. "Not exactly. But she has to do something for work, so I have my phone back for a couple of days."

"Maybe she won't take it back."

"Yeah, I'm not even going to get my hopes up."

"Well, what's up? You wanting to hang out?" Invite me, damn it.

"Yeah. Uh, actually, I was calling to invite you to a little trip."

"Really? Where to?" Even I can hear how unbelievable I sound, but maybe he doesn't notice it.

"Some lake house near Myrtle Beach." He starts repeating the same details that Ryland already told me before finally saying, "You want to come?"

"Yeah, sure."

"Okay. Pack some trunks and enough clothes. We're going in two hours. Oh, and I'll need you to give me a ride. I didn't get my keys back."

I roll my eyes but let a small laugh out. "Wow. That's probably the only reason you invited me." Honestly, I wouldn't give a shit if it was. I'm just glad I get to go. Even though, I have to act like a heterosexual again.

"That's not true. Consider it an early birthday gift. I don't know if I'll be ungrounded on the actual day." Oh, yeah. My birthday is right around the corner. A little over two weeks.

"My birthday gift involves giving you a ride?"

"Sort of. It's just to Elaine's. Amaya said you could leave it there and ride with us, so you'll barely waste any gas."

"Alright." I pull my phone back to check the time. "I'll be there around eight thirty."

"Okay. Bye."

"Later," I tell him before hanging up.

I let a deep breath out in relief. "I'm guessing it all worked out?" Ryland asks.

"Yeah. I just have to give him a ride, so I guess I'm meeting you there instead."

"Okay. I should probably go then."

"Yeah... Uh, Ryland." I swallow hard before I say the dreaded words. "You do know-"

"To act like I barely know you?"

My chest feels tight as the shame washes over me. "Yeah. I'm so sorry."

He leans forward, wrapping his arms around me. "It's okay."

"It's not. I told you I'd tell him, and I haven't even tried."