Chapter Thirty-Three: Culmination

Monica had offered to give me a ride home, but I didn’t feel like sitting around by myself while Derek was pissed at me. So I gave her directions to his place instead, and when she pulled up in front of his looming mansion of a house I stepped out into the cold, unsure of what my own intentions were.

“Thanks for the ride, Monica,” I said, waving as I closed the passenger door in her adorable yellow Mini Cooper and watched her back down the driveway, disappearing down the shadowy street. I sucked in a few breaths, suddenly uncharacteristically nervous as I fumbled for my keys and let myself in. I’d been in this house a million times, walked through this very door at least that many, if not more, times. I knew this place, and I knew its inhabitants. So why the hell are you so nervous? Oh that’s right – cause they’re all werewolves and it’s a full moon and every single person in this house could kill you with one swipe. That’s why. The house was dark, but that was what I’d been expecting; it was the first full moon for the pack, and Derek had been struggling with the predicament of locking them up all week. I knew he’d be furious that I was here, putting myself in imminent danger, but I didn’t care. I had to make things right with Derek, find out what’d been bothering him lately. Even if I had to wait for Erica and Isaac and Boyd to wolf out and almost kill the both of us to do it.

            I crept down the basement stairs as quietly as I could, because I could already hear snarls and growls coming from the wall on the right, where Derek had them chained up. I rounded the landing and gasped out loud like a heroine in a bad horror movie, because that’s what this scene looked like: a bad horror movie. All of their wrists and ankles were chained to the wall, and Erica had a complicated contraption secured around her head, with a huge nail jutting straight through her skull. It looked like a medieval torture device, and I could tell it was painful by the way Erica shrieked and thrashed around.

“Derek!” I called, running down the remaining few steps and rushing out to where he stood, adjusting a chain across Isaac’s chest. He turned around so quickly all I saw was a blur, and then Derek’s hands were clamped tightly around my shoulders and I was being propelled backwards towards the stairs.

“What are you doing here, Chris? I told you it was too dangerous,” Derek hissed, dark clouds rolling across his features and his eyes flashing red. That was my first sign that he was seriously pissed and losing control. He never let his eyes go red in front of me anymore if he could help it, not now that he knew it freaked me out so much.

“I’m sorry, but you acted so weird earlier I just wanted to make sure everything was okay-“

“Well, clearly it isn’t! These bonds aren’t strong enough to hold them, at least not for very long. You have to get out of here.”

“But what about you, Derek? You can’t fight all of them by yourself!”

“Oh and you’re going to help me?”

Ouch. “I can help you restrain them.”

“No you can’t! Chris, they’re not themselves. They will kill you.”

“Well how do you stay in control on the full moon then?”

“I have an anchor. Something to focus on and keep me in control.”

“Then teach them that! Help them find their anchor, Derek,” I exclaimed, throwing my hands up in the air and gesturing towards where Erica and Boyd were practically ripping their arms off to escape. Their eyes were glowing yellow, their fangs were out, there was hair on their faces – the whole deal. Isaac was calmer, but even he was wolfed out.  

“I can’t! None of them can possibly have an anchor strong enough to keep them in check,” Derek yelled back at me.

“Why the hell not?!”