Chapter 14: White Glove Mistakes

Start from the beginning

"Oh my god, that's Karl Jacobs!" I forced myself to hold my chin high as the shrieking sounded. Karl proudly guided me, passed the crowds hovering outside the front gates of the party quickly directing me towards the security posted at the front.

Three men stood side by side, creating a wall in front of the entrance blocking any curious eyes from getting too close. The man in the middle stood tall dressed in a black suit and holding a clipboard. His eyes searched the crowd until they found us, a cheeky unbelieving smile growing rapidly across his features, "Karl Jacobs you sly dog!"

"Zach, how are you man?!" Karl said, switching into his performance voice that I was all too familiar with. He untangled himself from my arm, as he took a step forward to take the man in for a hug.

"A lot better now dude, it's always great to see you!" His gaze turned to stare at me, and seemed to turn more interested, "And who might you be?" He surveyed my body from head to toe, an excited suspicion lacing his words.

Game on.

I batted my eyelashes innocently as I took a step towards him extending my hand, "I'm Hailey, it's great to meet you. I've heard so much!"

The lie came naturally, yet Zach's face lit up as he turned to Karl, "Karl! How is it that this is my first time meeting this beautiful woman?!"

A dry chuckle escaped Karl's throat as he shifted to stand a bit closer to me. He casually threaded an arm around my waist, but I knew there was nothing casual about his movement. I felt the tension ripple through his flexed muscles despite the gentleness he handled me with. I tried to ignore the heat coursing through me as Karl rubbed his casual circles into my side.

"What can I say?" He smirked, shrugging with feigned ease. He turned to stare at me, demanding my attention "No one's more gorgeous than my girl"

I swallowed hard, trying to kill the butterflies that erupted within me at the name. I forced my attention back towards Zach who had a happy look of surprise written across his features, "Karlll!!!!" He exclaimed, "Finally dude!!!" He leaned in towards Karl, unsuccessfully whispering, "Great choice!"

A look of annoyance flashed across Karl's features before he quickly masked it with a tight-lipped smile, "You don't have to tell me" He bit out through clenched teeth, "Anyways," Karl quickly changed the topic, "It was great to see you Zach, but Hailey and I need to go see the birthday boy, so we'll catch you later alright?" He said, gently guiding me by the small of my back towards the entrance of the house.

"Yeah man! I'll see you later!" Zach called just before he was out of our line of sight.

Karl exhaled a deep breath as we turned away from the bouncer and focused on the party ahead, "This is torturous..." He whispered to himself.

But I heard him anyway. I tried to push past the feeling of disappointment rising within me and focus on what we came here to do. So before he could push his way passed me and into the party, I grabbed his wrist, causing him to turn and stare at me, "We can leave whenever you're ready, okay?" I confirmed with a small nod of my head.

An appreciative smile encompassed his features as he said softly, "Okay. But if you're ready to go before then, let me know"

"Okay," We exchanged one last smile before Karl pushed open the doors to the mansion.

Lights blinded me as I swept my eyes across the scene. Dancers hung from the ceiling on silks, a massive DJ booth floated on a platform hoisted above the crowd, and bottle girls walked amongst the party serving both drinks and drugs on silver platters.