Chapter 6

Sorry about the wait and the time between each chapter, I try and aim for around 2000 words per chapter, but I find that takes much longer than I have free. So I'll make the chapters a bit shorter and hopefully I'll be able to make them more frequently.

Thank you for so many reads!

TW: Fainting

Spencer dreamed happy things that night, his brain finally giving him some respite from the past few days of stress. He dreamt of his favourite holiday - Halloween - and what he would dress up as next time. He thought about how he would decorate his apartment, what sweets he would buy for the trick or treaters, how soon to decorate. 

An incessant rapping came at the door that was followed by 2 short authoritative knocks. Spencer woke up gasping, startled at the sudden change in surroundings; he had come from an old musty library that had been lit with glowing candles and a warm cookie scent.

"Spence, you're going to be late! Hurry up," JJ called through the door. She knocked a few more times. "I'm coming in Spencer," she warned.

"No! No, it's okay; I'm awake," Spencer shouted back, panicked. His hair was everywhere, he hadn't brushed his teeth yet and his eyes felt puffy. "How long do I have to get ready?" He asked.

"It's 10 minutes before we have to leave to get to the precinct on time," Morgan replied.

"Okay, I'll be down soon! Just give me a few minutes," Spencer instructed, searching around for something. He dragged his hands down his face and sighed, he really wanted to keep sleeping; that was the first time he'd slept through the night in a year. Insomnia's a bitch. He checked his watch and his eyebrows rose at the time shown. 

He jumped up and gathered some clothes quickly, before sprinting into the bathroom ready to turn the shower on. His heart pounded and ringing began in his ears. His body felt like static and his vision darkened. A weight grew on his head and his body began to sway.

This had happened before, he knew that he should lie down for about 10 minutes and wait until it had passed, but he didn't have long so he turned the shower on whilst attempting to steady himself on the counter. He stepped into the shower and washed himself as quickly as he could, but the pressure on his head was increasing and his hands became shaky.

He knew that if he didn't slow down and rest for a bit then he would end up passing out. He just didn't have time for this, he could push through this, just once. He mentally scolded himself for not setting an alarm to give himself enough time to get ready. He slid on some trousers and socks and tried to fan himself to cool down; sometimes that helped.

He'd left it too long though, he should've sat down as soon as he felt lightheaded, not after he'd pushed himself. Now he knew it would take a lot longer to bounce back from this. He lowered himself to the ground and welcomed the cold tile on his bare back, ignoring the conscious part of his brain that was screaming at him to get off the filthy floor.

The ringing in his ears got louder and his vision went black, he tried to position his legs up on something, but he couldn't move. His limbs felt like they were weighed down with bricks, like he was being buried with sand. His legs slanted to the side and he was out.

"Get his legs up, it'll help return the blood to his head. If he doesn't wake up in the next two minutes then call an ambulance," a muffled voice instructed. Spencer couldn't make it out. His head was too heavy, his limbs had pins and needles, his eyes wouldn't open and he felt boiling hot. A wave of nausea washed over him and his stomach cramped. He really hoped he wouldn't end up vomiting everywhere, just keep it down a bit longer.

"Hotch, what are we supposed to do? He's still out, and he feels really warm, what if he has a seizure or something?" panic infused in a new voice. Spencer tried to organise his thoughts a bit, see if he could communicate with someone around him that he was okay and just needed time to wake up. He definitely didn't want to be taken to hospital, he hated it there.

"Open the windows and doors, get him a cold compress for the back of his neck or forehead," came the muffled voice again. It sounded slightly glitchy, Spencer thought, maybe it was somebody on the phone.

A sharp, cold, object was placed on his forehead and it shocked him back to focusing.

Spencer tried to wiggle his fingers, or toes, anything. His left pinkie twitched slightly and he breathed a sigh of relief, this meant that he would be fully conscious within the next few minutes. Slowly, the feeling came back into the rest of his arm and he clenched his fist a few times, trying to get someone's attention.

"Wait, his hand's moving! Hotch, he's waking up, should we still call an ambulance?" Spencer thought it sounded a lot like JJ. The voice matched the panicked one from earlier, which would definitely be something she would say.

"No, don't call an ambulance. See how he feels when he's fully awake and whether there are any issues, but otherwise, he'll be fine," Hotch replied, he hung up and JJ placed the phone on the bathroom counter.

Spencer mumbled and tried to tell JJ he was alright, that he'd be okay in a few minutes, but it came out all shuffled up. He tried again.

"Jayj, I'll be fine-d," His speech was better, but still not quite there. His eyes opened and were immediately met with a wide, bright blue pair, scanning his face. He frowned and shuffled up onto his elbows. He regretted this almost instantly as his head began to spin again, so he laid back down promptly. 

"Spence, you seriously scared me then! What the hell is going on? Why'd you faint?" Her voice was mainly angry, but there was concern and agitation mixed in as well. She helped Spencer move to lean against the bathroom wall after seeing his second attempt at sitting up. He blinked a few times and his eyes were unfocused, but his colour was returning back to normal.

"I stood up too fast, I was in a rush," Spencer answered, remembering that he still had to get ready and trying to get to his feet to continue with his morning routine.

"Not so fast, Mister. I stand up too fast and I get a brief headrush, occasionally, and then I'm fine seconds later. Why did you faint, and for so long, from just standing up?" JJ's brows were knitted together and her voice was serious.

"Uh, it's fine. Don't worry about it, I'm fine. Can we just go now?" Spencer didn't want to voice his suspicions about what he had. There would be a high chance that he wouldn't be able to do his job, either being fired, or being restricted to a desk job, and he desperately didn't want either to happen. 

"Spencer, we're not leaving until you tell me what's going on. Now spill," JJ was not entertaining the evasive and defensive Spencer today, this was too important.

"Okay" Spencer braced himself. Oh God, help him...

✩♬ ₊˚.🎧⋆☾⋆⁺₊✧

Let me know if you enjoyed this part and I'm open to any suggestions!

Again, sorry about the wait, I've had a hectic few weeks :)