Chapter 1

"We speak for Mother Nature! We speak for Mother Nature! We speak for Mother Nature!" the growing mob changed as they marched upon a logging site deep within the Chinese rainforest. They were carrying signs that were decorated with their message. Some even held rocks and sticks. Noticing the encroaching crowd, the loggers stopped what they were doing. Some warily backed away while some ran. One man stepped forward, a foreman most likely. Raising his arms, he hollered, "This is private government property! You all need to get out-"

"Nature is free today!" one of the protesters yelled, throwing a rock at the foreman. He went down like the very trees he and his crew were tasked with chopping down. The rest of the mob sprang into action, attacking the crew. The loggers ran, seeking shelter from the flying rocks in the air. Those who got knocked down were beaten with sticks and signs. For just a moment, the protesters had the upper hand. Then security stepped in and started taking shots.

"Run! Get to the trees!" someone shouted, trying to be heard over the sound of gunfire. The protesters ran, fleeing the battlefield. A lot of them were shot down and were now laying on the dusty earth dead or wounded. Some did make it to the trees though and were still running for their lives. Amongst these runners was a teenager named Daisy.

Vaulting over a fallen tree, Daisy tucked and rolled down a small hill. Reaching the bottom, she broke into a run again. There was no time to stop. She had to get out of here. Or else her parents were gonna kill her. As far as they knew, she and her classmates had gone on a school field trip to China to learn about the culture. And Daisy would like for them to keep thinking that.

Suddenly, something white darted in front of Daisy, causing her to trip over it. Yelping, the teenager tumbled down a nearby embankment into a small stream with a splash. Groaning, she was about to stand up when she heard another splash next to her. Lifting her gaze, she was awestruck by what she saw.

Standing in the water was a small white tiger cub. But he didn't seem to be like any tiger Daisy had seen before. For one, he had gills. His tail had fins similar to that of a whale. There were tiny faint bumps along his back. Maybe a hint of more fins to come perhaps? Daisy wasn't sure. She just knew she had never seen a creature like this before.

Gunshots sounded in the distance. Whimpering, the tiger cub bounded over to Daisy and cowered at her feet. He was scared. Sympathy washing over her, the teenager knelt down and wrapped her arms around the cub. "It's okay," she whispered softly, picking up the creature with a little bit of trouble, "Everything is okay. I got you." Getting a firm hold of the animal, she whisked him away from the dangerous area, promising herself that she would watch over the cub.

Now the big question was how was she going to get him back to America?