𝟎𝟎𝟒. the nightmares

chapter fourthe nightmares

chapter four
the nightmares

🩸

No!

Stop!

Ah!

Rory sprung up in her bed with a gasp. Her eyes grew the size of saucers, and her breathing made an uneven pattern, forcing her chest up and down in haste. Her baby hairs were stuck to the sides of her face on account of the thick layer of sweat coating her body, her bed covers long discarded on the other side of her bed. It was pitch black in her room, besides the moonlight that shined into her open bedroom window.

All the girl could see behind her closed eye lids while she slept was flashes of hands gripping sheets, then they clawed someone's throat or their own, the only sound being screams for help as the hands tried to crawl away from something or someone. There was a faint choking sound in the background, a hoarse breath trying to suck air into their body like they were so deprived of it.

When the flashes stopped and she was met with darkness, then as the image of a body dropping onto something white made an unsettling feeling form knots in her stomach, her eyes flew open and sleep felt like something she could never do again.

Rory's little flashes — or visions as she has called, were not a very normal occurrence, but frequent enough that she wasn't surprised by her sleep being interrupted. It was a nightmare, she would say to ease people's worries when they noticed the next day the slouch in her posture and her tired eyes half open.

Aurora sighed out deeply as her breath caught back up to her, running a hand through her blond locks that were thrown into a messy bun behind her head. She knew sleep wasn't in the picture anymore. She couldn't, not with all the screams, images and smells from that nightmare. Her body wouldn't even sit still, nor would her mind.