The note

Arthur's pov

"Merlin!" I called angrily after my servant. "MERLIN" I tried again.
Things had been especially hard after I had found out about Morgana. It seemed to me that Merlin was the only... friend that truly understood what was going on. Although friend seemed to casual a term for what he was to me. Of course he was my servant but, he was also a friend, and now he seemed to be much more.

I had finally found him he was, yes you guessed it, in the tavern. I should have gone there first. I roll my eyes.

Merlins pov
" wakey wakey! " it was Arthur... " don't you have... Work to do? "

" sorry sire I was just, " I began

Arthur's pov

" another excuse?" It came out harsher than I meant. I saw the hurt In his eyes before I heard it in his voice.
" Merlin I'm sorry I didn't mean it like that" I said apologetically

" no, it's, it's fine!" His voice catches at the end of his sentence, making it clear that he wasn't fine.

" Merlin I didn't-" I made a sad attempt to talk to him but I was interrupted.

" Arthur I have chores to do, don't I?" He said swiftly walking past me. He slammed the door of the tavern behind him which made me flinch.

Merlin's pov

I saved him again and I get nothing in return. I had to remind myself that he was the prince and I was a servant. Therefore it was ordinary for a person of my ranks to be treated that way.
"He is your destiny Merlin" I say to my self.

"MERLIN" you'd think he would be able to do something by himself. Rolling my eyes I walk down the hallway in search of the spoiled prat

Arthur's pov

"MERLIN" I say as I look through the hole in my red tunic. I see his shadow before I see him. " Merlin. What the hell is this?" I say gesturing at the hole in my shirt.

"Moths?" Merlin said pathetically.

" well Merlin moths aren't going to get the better of you are they? You're so talented I bet you can get this fixed up by the morning," I say aiming to get a laugh out of him but earning an eye roll instead.

Merlins pov

I can't do this anymore I can't work for someone i have feelings for, when they obviously don't like me back . I'll ride to my mothers at dawn.

I close the wood door to my room and can't help but feel as if something is missing.

It's that damn shirt. I fix it with a bit of magic and go to sleep.

In the morning I leave something for Gaius, a thank you for being the father I never knew.

Then I silently slip a note under Arthur's door and leave, for a new life.

Arthur's pov

I wake up to bird song. Yes I said _i_
Wake up. Something is wrong... Why hasn't Merlin woken me up? Shit! I have knight duties. I silently swear to myself for keeping that lousy servant. I run off before my father can lock me up again.

After training I decide to have a nice little chat about how MERLIN IS THE WORST SERVANT IN HISTORY, with Gaius.

"Gaius, have you seen that-" I'm cut on by the sight of Gaius packing. " Going somewhere?"

I see that I startled him " ah yes Merlin has ran away, I'm going to find him.

" Gaius, I mean no offense but you're an 80 year old man."

" yes and you're a 22 year old prince and are you doing anything? No. So I
that mean I must." I was very tempted to tell Gaius that he couldn't address me like that, but then I realized he was right.

"I, I'll be back soon!" I yell to Gaius while running up to my room.

I frantically put my hunting boots on and find a jacket I'm running to the door when I step on something and I slip. I silent curse my self for being clumsy at a time like this. I look At what I stepped on. A note?

" Dear Arthur,
You have been a wonderful addition to my life and I'm sorry I'm leaving you behind, it's just its too hard, too hard to stay when I know you will never love me that way I love you"
Tears start streaming down my face
I let out a choked sob but will my self to keep reading
" You are the reason I was happy, are happy. Your so kind and genuine you will make a wonderful king. I'm so glad I had the privilege to know you. When people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I said happy. I wanted to be happy. and you made that come true .
Thank you Arthur, for so many things
Much love,
Merlin"