But despite it all, it was still him.

He stalled for only a few more moments before he turned, leaving out the front door.

The cold breeze of early morning brushed against his face, leaving a shiver in its way.

He silently shut the door behind him, stepping back to take what was more than likely his last look at Dibs house.

Then, without any words, he turned and started towards his base.

Every tree felt outlined, every house seeping into the back of his memory, every stone and every cloud traced.

He savoured the looks of it all, a sentimental longing overcoming all his thoughts.

All these oblivious humans, they had no idea what was coming. Something in him wanted to feel bad, to pity all the individual lives that'd be morphed into nothing but labour.

But he couldn't bring himself to. He had to be ready for this, and he knew none of these creatures would listen even if he wanted to warn them.

With every step, a strange calm drowned over him. Dulling his surroundings with a quiet cry of grief.

This would be the last time he'd see the planet as it is now.

It almost felt too soon when he'd realised he'd reached his base.

Zim gazed upon the structure. He wasn't quite sure if this was the last time it'd be seen, but something in him wanted to savour it all the same.

Stepping across the pavement, he opened the door, observing the house that lay behind it.

Only slightly littered with random items, the place seemed decently clean.

As he stepped inside and took a closer look at the objects, he realised something.

He'd forgotten GIR.

Cursing under his breath, he extended a communication device from his PAK, quickly calling the robot.

The tool rang static for a few moments before he picked up.

“GIR! Come to the base immediately! ” Zim ordered hastily, glancing around himself.

A low giggle sounded through the call, “hehe. Okay masta!”

“... And try to be quiet. ” he added lowly, before dismissing the call and retracting the device.

Sighing, he drew his eyes up to search the room once more.

All items inside the base would be saved in the data once it was packed up, so he didn't need to worry about cleaning.

The only thing he actually had to do was ready the ship, and get any supplies needed.

He wasn't quite sure how far, or how long he'd be travelling for after this. The fly from Conventia to Earth had been six months, and Irk would likely be a bit longer.

So… he supposed he'd pack just shy of seven months worth of needed resources. Irken tech was advanced, especially so in ships, but even his voot took time to scale the stars.

And while Irkens didn't particularly need much food, they still enjoyed snacking. Himself included. So he'd take what he had in the base.

Then just the minor healing equipment. A precaution not all of his kind took, but Zim felt that it was better to be safe.

And other than that, there really wasn't much else.

Except maybe a toy or two for GIR…

Zim shook himself. No time to plan what to bring.

Ravaging through his base for needed- or desired -equipment, he found himself growing more uneasy.

But he couldn't let it interfere with this. Time was limited, he'd… get over all his fears once it was said and done.

Packing the load of snacks into his cruiser, he gave the area a short look over. This was probably one of the cleanest parts of the base, untouched by GIR for the most part.

As if summoning the robot, he heard the high pitched greeting from downstairs.

“GIR, why don't you go and get some of your favourite toys? ” Zim suggestived, voice loud enough for his receptors to catch.

There were a few giddy screeches that followed, but he paid no mind to them.

Soon enough, he'd gathered all needed, except for GIRs picks.

Which was not unusual, for the robot usually took an annoyingly long time to gather his things.

Snapping a quick command to his computer, he was transported into the main room of the base.

Unsurprisingly, GIR was nowhere to be seen.

He sighed, preparing to call over his companion.

“Zim!” A familiar voice yelled distantly, and he internally groaned.

“Dib.” He turned to the human, who was just reaching the door.

He puffed for a short moment, before looking up at the alien.

“What are you doing? ” He asked, though the look in his eyes told Zim that he already knew.

“Preparing to leave, armadas arriving today. ”

Dib looked awkward for a moment, before a hint of defiance lit in his eyes.

“That's pretty cowardly. ”

The irken only glared in response, though it was more annoyed than anything.

“Can't you just try?- to fight back, I mean. Or something. ” He tried, desperation lining his words.

“We've been over this. It's a suicide mission. ”

“Yeah but- you can't just… give up! ”

Zim averted his gaze for a moment, a silence filling the air.

“You can't just stand by whilst this planet gets destroyed. There's still a chance! ”

The possibility weighed on his shoulders, perhaps this didn't need to be the last time he looked at this planet.

“That's… That's a childish hope, Dib. ”

“Maybe it is. But are you really going to leave this place as a coward who couldn't stand his ground? ”

“No. I'll leave as a proper invader. ”

“No! You won't. They're using you, Zim. The only reason you're here in the first place is because they didn't want you around. What do you think will happen after this is over? ” The human spat, venom lining his every word.

“I'll die a fool if I stand up to the entire Armada. I won't die some sort of hero, no one on this idiotic planet would even realise the Invasion is happening until they're enslaved! ”

“I would. And I get the feeling that your empire would view you as foolish either way. But if you blindly followed them, it'd just show them that they were right. ”

Silence was his only reply.

“Just try. Me, you and GIR. We'll fight back, show the Armada that you're not just another mindless slave. ” Dib offered his hand, as if it was a sort of deal.

Zim eyes him carefully, doubtfully.

And then, hesitantly, raised his claws to meet the opposing fingers.

“Fine.”