Old Habits Never Die.

Dibs eyes blared open as his door swung open, a tall, blocky figure standing confidently as his body jolted into a sitting position.

He blinked for a few seconds, reaching for his glasses as his ears began to register the voice talking to him.

"-Son! " A familiar, deep voice spoke with the same wise tone the professor always seemed to have.

Seeing his father clearly now- he squinted slightly, his body was stiff and his hair messed.

".. Dad? " Dib mumbled in a groggy, confused tone.

His father was rarely ever at the house, let alone long enough for him to be greeted by the man.

Wait, had he seen Zim?

"Yes, my son. I thought I'd wake you for your first day back from your suspension! " Professor membrane greeted once more, half explaining. He hadn't mentioned the little alien at all. Maybe he didn't see him?

But if that was the case- where was Zim? Had he gone back to his base?

He pushed the thoughts back, focusing on another fact- his suspension was up.

"W-what? B-but dad! I can't go to skool! " Dib panicked, hastily hopping out of his bed.

The man sighed.

"Yes you can, you're not sick, nor hurt. You're a perfectly healthy boy! Now you better start getting ready, skool starts in an hour! " He chirped, closing the door with a sharp click before he could protest further.

Dib grumbled under his breath, begrudgingly picking out clothes for the day.

His father would probably leave before he will, so he can just skip it.

Pulling on the clothes, he turned to look in the mirror.

He'd forgotten just how plain his outfit looked without the jacket.

He brushed his hair, restyling the scythe-like ahoge.

Pulling on his signature jacket and his shoes, Dib opened the door.

He wanted to know where Zim was, if he was even in the house,

Stepping down the stairs, he swooped into the lounge room.

"What do you think you're doing, son? You should eat before you go watch your silly shows. " Professor membrane called, shaking his head.

Dib froze, why was his father still here?

He turned around- completely ignoring the task of looking for Zim.

The scientist held a piece of what he'd called 'super toast', with another piece in the making.

He perked a brow, had Gaz already eaten?

It didn't matter. As long as his father was home- he would have to go to school.

"Don't you have work? " He asked hesitantly, his arm still held the frame of the lounge room.

"Of course! I just had to run some errands here at home. So I thought I'd quickly greet you and your sister! '' Dib couldn't see his expression, but he could basically feel the grin on his fathers face.

He stayed silent for a few moments, how long would his dad be here?

"I-i can't go to skool. " The boy stated once more, his stance slightly wobbly.

"Yes you can. " Professor membrane disagreed, voice stern.

"I can't dad-! I have to- to do something really important! " He stumbled, not quite sure how to explain the whole situation without sounding crazy.