Δεκαεπτά (17)

Start from the beginning

"And what would that do? What do we earn from this?" It shouldn't be a free objective in this place.

"Hmm, there could be more of our representation. We never functioned since you and the other one were gone. Possibly more power."

"No."

She held a refuted feeling, blinking twice as if she didn't hear correctly. "You don't say. You must really hate this place. You don't like anyone, the fighting- Maybe they were right." She gazed upwards to the almost artificial sun, resting in the middle of the possibly fake sky.

I was unsure of her point. "Who?"

"Them, silly," she gesticulated. "Gods? Even everyone here! You're seriously kidding me, right?"

I slowly nodded my head, still concerned and not wanting to continue this discussion.

"There's more we offer than we say. Beyond power."

"And that is?" I crossed my arms in need of the truth.

"Not telling," she retorted childishly with an odd smirk.

As she rambled off into specks of nonsense, I wandered around, mainly staying near the edges to avoid any hard hitters or worse. Did she want to tell me these things? Or was she lying through her teeth? It's best to avoid her for now. In one swing, I accidentally bumped shoulders into someone.

"Hey...you're the one I- I almost got your skull!" It was the redhead. I was still distrustful of her unlikely friendliness. She had on blood-soaked leather, reflecting a bit of bloodlust and aggression from her stance as well. I thought Ares was supposed to be all war and violence. Or I've let my guard down at that moment. "Leon's just busy enough with punching and beating up one of the guys into bits." I gave a disturbed look at Wanda, wondering if it was a true thing. I didn't hear anyone doing such a thing, not even Leon at a far distance. "Jeez, I'm only kidding," she shrugged, looking the other way. "Just wanted a reaction out of you."

We stood neck-and-neck, just viewing the packed landscape. Immediately, I asked, "You fight a lot here?"

"Every day. Our favorite time. We can crush heads, rip guts," she bent near my left, "sometimes kick the men down there." She placed a small smug. No wonder everyone wants to kill each other.

"O...kay," I gave a slow nod and awkward assurance. The area was forming colder and colder moments, shivering my legs every second. Everyone kept their composure, unbothered by it.

"What did you say?" Her eyes darted and creased around the edges. Her mouth carried a scowl. Irritation. Annoyance. A few people in pink and violet strolled by, conversing with one another. One of them, a girl around my age, held a little cylinder at the tips of her thin and veiny fingers. One side came black and burnt, releasing smoke the same time the girl exhaled a gray cloud into the air. "I'm talking to you, demoiselle."

"Did she just-" I glared near the purple girl, no one batting an eye at her impolitic gesture.

"Emm? What about them? They're- tsk tsk terrible. Wait-" She peeped and scanned over me, taking a long, hard look near my face. "Right, I almost forgot yer' with Eli, that lad." I clearly wore the colors and had the inked mark. How could she not notice at that point?

"What about him? Eli, I mean?"

She gave another grin, yet more genuine. "Leon and him are pretty good. Not much fightin' between the two of them, but Athena-" Her eyebrows lowered. "We just had a reputation of hatin' evry'one but you guys. Even the previous formers."