Τέσσερα (4)

Beforehand, it was unexpected for Kayla to walk through and vanish from existence, just like that. I started to pinch around my fingers and slap my left hand with my right. The pain was invisible from countless times of bruises and kicks, yet I was not hallucinating. The portal was real. Right there.

     "Hurry up," rushed Kyle as he whistled to himself.

I carefully emerged from my implicit torture, coming in contact with the portal. One foot forward, replaced with the next. The wind picked up, forcing the trees to chant on my departure. I heard Kyle catching up with the squeaky sound of rubber along water. I was just an inch from the light, not budging as my feet stayed glued to the melting snow. The sun froze on the right side as it rose. I have to go. I have to protect Kayla. No second options.

     I set myself into the light, deserting possibly for the last time I see my home and family.

And maybe reality.

———————————————————————————

     After closely following behind Kayla into the luminous, eye-burning entrance, I tumbled to a solid landscape. I almost tripped onto fresh soil, which used to be snow only moments ago. Eyeing ahead, Kyle was nearby, scanning the area with profound tension.

He gave out a warning: "Stay close. They're coming."

     I was near him, yet kept my distance. The temperature still held a cool surrounding, but it increased as I did not exhale any vapor. There were stone edifices encompassing the area, around seven, ten, twelve...fifteen. There were fifteen of them. I spotted Kayla, her expressive awe and wonder given to this sacred region.

I ran to her side as she broke from her trance. "Oh, Puneet!" she beamed in delight. I spotted her clothes. Her attire had completely changed. Instead of just her pants being white, her upper half transformed from a cotton gray sweater into a white leather jacket.

Suddenly, numerous strangers jumped out, about more than one dozen, wearing various shades of orange, turquoise, purple...almost half of the rainbow. They held assorted weapons, ranging from sharp-edged swords to batons and piercing arrows, as well as a gloomy glass bottle in one of their hands.

"Here they are. The last ones to link," the exact voice of Alice informed as I discerned her voice.

"Keep on them, Marcy," someone in rusted orange ordered. He sealed his eyes against us while a girl containing an identical color scheme detained us. She held an iron axe, keeping watch on our current situation.

"Don't you even think of running," she forewarned as we stayed in place.

The over-dozen people encased us into an inescapable trap. Both Alice and a slightly taller man engaged in conversation as we stayed soundless, keeping ourselves close to abstain from harm's way. They both continued mumbling while we overheard their undertones.

"Are you sure they're the ones we tracked?" he questioned in seriousness.

"Duh! Only a few minutes ago, the one with glasses tried to beat me! Couldn't you bring them yourself?!" Alice exasperated.

"Then we would all be under attack without any lead or support," he shifted his face into a nonchalant manner. "The other two shall come over soon. Eli is preparing with the Megalowpanteun, though the other one..." I noticed a great difference in his accent, discerning British dialect and sound the more he spoke.

"How will we tell the both of them?" Alice pleaded.

"You know what?" The taller one with sharp green eyes overlooked us. I squinted my eyes to a black mark around the left side of his neck. It featured an owl, its wings closed and connected to its body, unable to pivot or soar out of his skin. Just then, he glanced at the rusted clothed girl.