Continuation of What It Means To Annotate: Examples Below P19

Comenzar desde el principio

134: 153rd diary entry annotated.
Wednesday, December 7, 1859
Today, Dr. Lamb came to see William — said he was improving. (11 words, that's so wonderful indeed.) That still gave Mr. Harms and me a moment to talk. (11 words, a moment is better than nothing at all.) He told me Belmont was the first station on the Underground Railroad in this area. (15 words, history never could teach us that.) It was a low point in the river, where it narrows and the current is less swift. (17 words, only river experts, people who study the river water's movements would ever know where it's lowest current drag is, Skylights.) Runaways meet their first conductor here in the Belmont woods and are taken to the next point. (17 words, yep that's how it was done, indeed, back then, Skylights.)
Why couldn't poor Rufus and his family make it? (9 words, because Rufus refused to trust the system that had been successfully set up and it had been successful for years, dear Clotee.)

135: 154th diary entry annotated.
Thursday, December 8, 1859
The days are short and cold. (6 words) The fields have been laid by. (6 words)
Tobacco is yellowing over slow coals. (6 words, the language of those last three sentences sound like the essence of a poem, right? Remember Clotee has read an actual poem!)
Waith's put everybody to work fixing up the place for Christmas — the Big Times. (14 words) Another holiday. Endless chores. (4 words, with too much work grumpiness isn't too far behind period.) Eva Mae is making fruit cakes today. (7 words) I chopped nuts and berries til my fingers have got no feeling. (12 words, that's better than having them aching from a bleeding Clotee.) Missy got on one of Clarissa's old dresses — Miz Lilly probably promised her a hat, too, if she tells on me. (21 words, that girl is really losing herself within worthless promises.) Missy and me hardly talk any more except when we serving the food. (13 words, you never really talked at all Missy took over all the talking she did with you, Clotee.)
She hangs under Miz Lilly like Shadow does William. (9 words, told you like second shadows clinging to them all the time, Skylights.)

136: 155th diary entry annotated.
Friday, December 9, 1859
We spent the day in the barn, restuffing Miz Lilly's mattress with fresh down we've been saving all year. (19 words, that's probably one of your easiest jobs ever.) Hince has been coming to Aunt Tee's cabin every night to sit with Spicy, so I can't write until he leaves. (21 words, she doesn't know Hince actually already knows yet why and how shouldn't be too hard to know who would tell him about what Clotee can do.) Since our talk in the study, Mr. Harms has been slipping me things to read. (15 words, nice. You get to read real stuff that you didn't have to steal.)
I hide them under my dress until I get here. (10 words, that can't be very easy.)
I read the papers to Aunt Tee and Spicy. (9 words, learning to read to others is another entirely different skill. Enunciation of pronunciation is extremely, extremely important Skylights.) A lot of it we don't understand, but a lot of my questions have answers now. (16 words, reading knew stuff owned by abolitionists of course you're going to an accurate answer to the majority of your questions.) Abolitionists live everywhere, just like I thought. (7 words, yep they do.)
But, what makes me happyest is that some abolitionists are women and some are even people who done been slaves, just like me. (23 words, there is a bunch of a variety of people who can be called abolitionists to me this is one of the most fairly tolerant organizations to exist in U. S. A history when it used so many from different backgrounds to say oppressed people.) Mr. Harms say that a used-to-be-slave named Frederick Douglass teached himself to read and write just like me. (18 words, our first real person mention in this book. )
Now he's an abolitionist and writes his own newspaper up in the New York called The North Star. (18 words, I didn't know he had his own newspaper created.) I want to read that paper some day. Maybe I will. I know I will. (15 words, you probably totally will your brilliant fearless determination.)

137: 156th diary entry annotated.
Saturday, December 10, 1859
Aunt Tee sent Spicy and me to pick the last of the beets from the house garden. (17 words)
They're tender and sweet after the frost hits the ground. (10 words, I never knew that.)
On the way back from the garden Waith jumped out and grabbed Spicy's arm. (14 words, get away you ugly creepy boy!)
"You're right pretty for a black gal," he say, spitting tobacco juice. (12 words, you're hitting on someone who's already taken hard to someone else, Waith.) He hissed at me to git, but I wouldn't go — not without Spicy. (13 words, of course she isn't going anywhere without her sister friend.) I held on to her hand. (6 words) He snapped his whip in my direction. (7 words, so devilishly rude indeed!)
"Git like I tol' you, or I'll give you a whupping gal!" (12 words, his attitude is worse than a U. S. Marine sergeant today happens to be.)
"Mr. Harms wouldn't like you bothering Spicy.
He done picked her for hisself." (13 words, sometimes we just say things to frighten stronger people off.) I surprised myself at how fast I could speak a lie. (11 words, while normally I don't approve of lies a lie is a lie even when told for good intentions good intentions do not ever cancel out that a lie is still always going to be a lie but for the people she told lies to it is their fault for not looking for the truth that tells us Miz Lilly and Briley Waith have the absolutely lowest IQ of a mental test, Skylights.) It was a good lie, because it was helping Spicy. (10 words, that may be truly it is still a lie.) She was frozen in fear, because she knew Waith didn't have nothing good in mind. (15 words, you know exactly what they mean when they say that, he would indeed probably have raped and disgraced her too, Skylights.) Waith b'lieved me. (3 words) He let Spicy go, and we ran as fast as we could to Aunt Tee. (15 words, yes, just get out of his ugly sight.)
I'll tell Mr. Harms what I said, and maybe he can protect Spicy until . . . until what? (16 words, now her desire to run is starting to hit harder right now as Waith continues to make her more uncomfortable.)
Dare I write it? (4 words) Until we run away. (4 words, Clotee's desire currently is to make a run herself, but what choices will delay it the last five chapters to come, Skylights?)