"They don't like me here," he mumbled while scanning the area with his deep brown eyes.

"Because of how you look, or did you do something I should know about?" I continued, but this time I tried to make it sound like a teasing joke. It didn't work, his face was empty of emotions. "Canan?"

Suddenly he averted his eyes from the crowd down the street and met my question. "Both."

I sighed and took a step forward, gods knew he'd been right earlier, I could see myself falling hard for this man. But for now I was going to use his interest in me to my advantage. I placed my palm on his cheek and gave him one of my sweetest smiles, "I won't let anyone hurt you," I said softly, before we both cracked a hearty laugh. I had taken him by surprise, but the joke worked, his mood changed instantly.

"Well thank you, sparkle, I feel much safer now," he said with humour in his eyes, only to surprise me by leaning in and quickly pecking my cheek. "Now, let's get something to eat."

We left the narrow street, hand in hand we pushed through the crowd to find a food stall. Canan towered over most men we met and I noticed the looks they gave us. I was used to people eyeing me, my elven looks, my blond hair — it all made me stand out. But the eyes were usually curious, now they were more resentful and even filled with hate or fear. "I'm sorry you have to go through this," I mumbled as we closed in on a stall filled with bread and cheese.

"Don't worry, I'm used to it," he gruffed and peered at the goods. "What do you want?"

I chose a freshly baked bread roll, filled with a strong flavoured cheese and some fruits on the side, while Canan picked out a simple pretzel. "That's all?" I asked, and when he gave me a nod I decided to grab a few more things in case he changed his mind later.

I paid the woman who seemed nice, she gave us both a smile and thanked us before we walked off to find a good spot where we could sit down, eat, and listen to the passing citizens.

The town itself looked like a typical mid-sized town, sand plastered buildings with dark roofs and dark wood around the windows. There were a lot of narrow cobblestone streets leading to more secluded parts like the craftsmens area, stables and the mystic parts where the cunning folk resided. We were at the square where most of the commotion was held. It was close to the more posh buildings where the bank, the home of the mayor and the library was, Canan explained while we ate. I had never been here before, so this was all news to me and I was happy to have a companion who knew his way around.

"So where should we go next?" I asked as I peered at a few halflings walking by with baskets on their backs filled with berries and fruits to be sold on the square.

"Let's stay put," Canan answered and moved away from the rising sun to lean against a wall in the shade. "Wait for Tom and see what news he has."

I bit my lower lip, but nodded, this was a perfect time to figure out what Canan knew about the heir. "So tell me what you've heard of him, got any clues to whom he could be?"

To my disappointment he shook his head, "I don't know much, it's basically the same rumours most people know," he began. "His mom was a servant to the king, he got her pregnant, she was kicked out of the castle and she moved here to raise her son."

I nodded, "I have a feeling we're in the wrong neighbourhood though, we should head to the more rugged areas," I said with a sigh. "It's probably where they are, don't you think?"

Canan nodded, "let's head over to the slums," he said, this time almost sounding happy.

As we walked through the crowd he grabbed my hand again and it somehow felt comforting to have him close. Not that I couldn't take care of myself, I was excellent in close combat, but because he had that certain protective glow to him which in turn made people take a step to the side when they saw us coming.

The plastered houses soon turned from a light sand colour to muddy brown and the streets were filled with garbage and filth. The people living here had rugged clothes and sad eyes, and I had unconsciously taken a step closer to Canan. He smiled down at me and his eyes told me to relax, this was clearly a neighbourhood he felt more comfortable in, and I understood why. There were other orcs here, and half-orcs like him. Whenever we passed one they gave him a nod and shot me a curious look. But I never felt threatened, and my shoulders began to relax.

"Not sure how Tom will find us here," I mumbled as I peered at the different signs hanging from the walls of the buildings. They were all unreadable from their weathered state, but from what I could tell one was a tavern and another was a shoemaker.

"Don't worry about it," my tall companion mumbled and led me towards a tavernesque looking place. Inside various men and women were drinking, playing card games and there was even someone playing a lute. It might have been quite nice, but it was filled with women of all races selling their bodies for coins and that always made me uncomfortable. I always felt sorry for them. This time though I held a man's hand so I was sure I wouldn't be disturbed.

We sat down at a table and a dwarven woman instantly approached us, "what can I get ya?" she asked, peering curiously at us both.

"Two ale and a reliable messenger," Canan answered and held out a few of my coins to her. I hadn't even noticed him taking them! I peered at him with a frown as he handed back the coin pouch to me with a grin. "Sorry, bad habit," he snickered.

"So you used to pick pockets?" I asked, but only got a half assed shrug as a response. I decided to leave it and instead I sipped on the drink the barmaid brought us. It tasted terrible, but I felt the need to fit in so I set my mind to finish it before we left.

Eventually a young boy dressed in rugs and dirt walked up to our table and turned to look at Canan, "ya needed help with somethin'?"

"Aye," Canan responded and held up a coin in front of him. "A dwarf named Tom, red hair and beard, big axe on his back and southern dialect. Find him and tell him where we're at," he explained, "and when he gets here you'll get your coin and a meal for your trouble." The boy had his eyes on the prize and all he could do was give us a short nod before running towards the door.

"And now?" I asked while peering down into my cup.

"Now we wait," he said calmly, "our arrival has piqued some people's interest already, I'm sure they'll start to ask questions soon, so let's see what they have to say after a few drinks." He paused for a bit, "or even better, the boy will tell his friends about us and they'll offer their services to us. Street Rats like him know everything that's going on in this part of town."

"Not sure I have enough coins for that," I muttered and got a smile in return before he turned to look at a growing crowd around a gambling table.

"I'll help with that," he said confidently and rose from the chair to walk up to the table, my coin pouch resting in his hand again and I couldn't help but sigh deeply. What was I doing trusting this man? I should know better than to let my guard down like this.