XII

Karasu left a blood-red envelope on the floor. I took it as I read the message on my phone. The message only had one picture in it: an unconscious Chifuyu bound in a wooden chair.

No.

No.

No!

My heart almost leaped out of my chest and my whole body trembled.

Feeling faint, quickly, I tore open the red envelope. Inside it was a map leading to an abandoned guest house miles away from where I was. Hurrying, I sprinted to my locker and retrieved my emergency supply of tools I kept for my trade. Then, not bothering to dress in my ninja outfit, I hailed a taxi and let it drive me to where I knew Karasu and Taiju were hiding Chifuyu.

I willed the cab to move faster as I anxiously touched my wooden ring, the one very like the ring around Chifuyu's ring finger.

He'd be fine, I tried to convince myself. Chifuyu was tough and I was the gifted among Taiju's fighters. Even Karasu would be no match for me. I would win any fight waiting for me. I nodded my head, but my hands were quivering. I have feared this: Chifuyu getting caught up with my twisted situation. It was up to me to save him now.

The abandoned guest house was in the middle of a forest. The three-story mansion with an attic was enormous. Old but not dilapidated. It must belong to one of Taiju's rich cronies. I paid the taxi driver and got out of the car. When the taxi was finally away, the door of the house opened and revealed not only Karasu but three more death reapers in black ninja outfits.

"Don't you love a nice family reunion?" Karasu was smiling, his arms spread. "How does it feel finally seeing your siblings?"

I wanted to tell him I didn't, even one second, think of Black Dragon and the other death reapers as my family. We were just strangers doing our jobs. But I asked him instead, "Where's Chifuyu?"

"Oh, the blonde? He's in the attic. Sleeping like a babe." Then Karasu pointed at a slim female death reaper. "Scythe was the one who got him. Pretty job, by the way. I'm sure that blonde didn't even see her coming near him. By the way, Scythe's the oldest among us. She's our oneesama. And the only female besides you."

I wasn't interested about who the fuck Scythe was. "Release Chifuyu, now," I commanded him as I took my gun from my holster.

The three other death reapers except for Karasu pulled their kunai from their dark pants.

"Uh uh! Not so fast, Death. You'll soon see your beau. You must first hear the rules of the game." That fucking Karasu was smiling smugly.

"Game?" I asked, confused, pissed off, and worried about Chifuyu.

Karasu took his gun and threw it to the ground. The other death reapers did, too. He explained, "All you had to do is go to where your love is. I and the other reapers will do our best to stop you. You need to pass us all to reach the attic. You can attack us and we can attack you in any way. However, we cannot use guns. That'll kill the fun. This is the only way for you to save blonde."

"Why are you doing this?"

"Do you have to ask? Taiju's orders, of course. Something about testing you," he lied. I knew he was lying. There was something more to this.

But I also knew I didn't have a choice. So I, too, threw my guns to the ground. "I'll get Chifuyu in five minutes." I pinned them all with a deathly glare.

The reapers headed inside as Karasu said cheerfully, "You should, because if you don't rescue him in ten, he's dead."

I stepped last into the mansion. All its windows were barred and there was no hint of light inside. I relied on my hearing for a while as my eyes adjusted to the dark. I heard the slight change in the air, like a whisper of a gust. Someone ran toward me. In my left? No at my right!