VI

"Shoot it!" One of the boys from the other class shouted as his team member shot the ball to the hoop and they earned two points. The girls cheered and some of the boys waved at them, thrilled at the hope of winning the match.

"Matsuno! How can you let Oguri pass you?" Big Tsuchida was pissed off. The large middle schooler almost spat his words to his classmate.

Matsuno just scratched his head and softly said his apology. His emerald eyes wandered to the audience and ended up looking into mine. We quickly looked away. We were in the school's old gym. Our classes joined for gym class and the lesson was men's basketball. The boys of both our classes formed teams and were playing against each other. So far, my class' team was close to winning.

With our classes inside the same space, I heard the rush of gossip from the lips of the girls behind my back. Of course, they were talking about Matsuno and me. Some of them believed Matsuno found out how much of a bitch I was and finally gave up on chasing after me. Some said the boy found out I was three months pregnant and, of course, he wasn't the father. Some even said the love potion I made Matsuno drink already lost its effect. All the rumors were nothing but bullshit.

The game commenced and Matsuno ran through the courts with his teammates, eager to steal the ball. The crowd cheered once more. The sounds of shoes squeaking and the ball bouncing filled the space surrounding us.

As he promised, Matsuno stopped pestering me after the night of the concert. After I dumped him the second time. I still saw him in the hallways and, every time, it was as if invisible fingers were pinching my heart. I tried pushing the unwanted feelings away but they kept on surfacing inside me until I ended up staring longingly at Matsuno's back.

What the fuck was that? It was as if I...

No!

Did I really... miss him?

Bollocks.

But I really wanted to see him smile again and follow me with his boyish charm, make me feel warm and alive inside. I remembered the times we spent together and realized they were the happiest times of my life after I became Death.

Death.

I was Death. And that was the truth. Matsuno, with his light and enjoyable life, could never be with me. Then, why? Why did I want to be by his side? His absence in my life only made me finally realize how much I wanted to be close to him.

I watched him dribble the ball, run, and shoot it. Only to fail. He cursed and ran again as the other team stole the ball.

Whack!

The heavy ball hit Matsuno in the head. The audience gasped, and so did I. I knew that Matsuno was tough and he was hurt worse in his gang fights before, but, still, I couldn't help but become worried. I was about to stand up and go to him when, suddenly, a girl from his class approached him and asked him if he was alright.

The students whistled and teased them.

W-what was this?

At the sight of the girl gently touching Matsuno's head, my lungs seemed to narrow and I could barely breathe.

"Oh, did you know? Shizuka likes Matsuno," said someone near me.

"Eh? Really? They actually look cute."

"I hope they end up together. That bitch Minamikawa doesn't deserve a boyfriend."

"Right."

I ignored the bad words pertaining to me but focused on the girl. I didn't know her--this Shizuka. But she was pretty with her small face and cute pigtails. She inspected Matsuno's head despite the boy's protest. Then I tore my eyes away from them, suddenly feeling sick. I didn't like how the girl acted with Matsuno.

The gym teacher whistled to signal the end of the class and the students prepared to leave the gym. I walked outside with the other girls in our class. I heard them say, "It's Valentine's tomorrow!"

"Are you going to give chocolate to Haru-senpai?"

"You bet I will!"

"I think I'll confess tomorrow."

"That's nice! Maybe I will too."

I heard the girls' chuckles.

Valentine's, huh? The day when a girl got to give chocolates to the important boys in her life. There were two kinds of chocolates: giri and honmei. Giri was the kind to give to friends and acquaintances while honmei was given to boys one had romantic feelings with. Almost all day in school, talk about Valentine's was left and right. Even when I walked the way to my apartment after class, people were talking about giving and receiving chocolates.

I stopped in front of a convenience store displaying chocolates for sale for the special day. Shaking my head, I walked past it. Then, Matsuno's smiling face appeared in my mind and the thought stopped my feet from walking.

The next day, since early morning, there were confessions all around the campus. Couples were made and hearts were broken. Boys were happy receiving chocolates even if they were only giri. I put my hand inside my pocket.

What the hell was I doing?

Seriously, what was happening to me these past few days?

When classes were over, I hid in the library and waited until it was very late. Then, when I was sure that there were no other students inside the building, I walked toward Matsuno's empty classroom. The beautiful orange rays of the sunset shone through the large windows. As I reached the boy's seat, I fished a little chocolate bar from my uniform's pocket. I bought it yesterday from the convenience store but it didn't have my name on it.

It was alright. I just wanted to give him one even if he wouldn't know it was from me.

"Is that giri or honmei?" asked a female voice. It was the girl named Shizuka. She went closer to where I was standing and, looking straight into my eyes, placed her heart-shaped chocolate on top of Matsuno's desk. A smirk was pasted on her pretty face. Foolishly, she warned me, "Stay away from Chifuyu. Your weirdness may rub off on him. Just continue becoming the school's lonely mouse and graduate without a boyfriend or a friend."

I almost huffed and told her to stop pissing me off or I could murder her without anyone finding out who killed her, but being professional made hiding my emotions easy.

Now, what should I do? Someone already saw me. Should I put the chocolate back into my pocket or should I stubbornly place it on top of the table and stare Shizuka down as a challenge?

The girl crossed her arms and smiled at me like a snake. "Get out. My friends will come with Chifuyu. I'm going to be his girlfriend starting today." She flipped one of her pigtails. "You don't deserve him, you know. I liked him first and I am no doubt better than you. You look like a male chimpanzee with zero socializing skills and an IQ of the dumbest insect. Taking away Chifuyu from you is an act of good deed."

What a fucking bitch.

Looking closely at her, with her golden accessories and condescending smile, I knew her type. The spoiled rich brat who thought she deserved everything she wanted in the world while thinking that others were just below her. Truth be told, I didn't care about her. But I was so annoyed that there could be a chance that Matsuno would officially date someone like her.

The door opened and revealed two girls dragging Matsuno inside the room. Our eyes met and I felt my heart melt.

"W-what is this?" He seemed genuinely confused.

Shizuka, the bitch, stepped forward. "It's nothing, Chifuyu. Here. I just--"

Fuck it.

Feeling like the bigger bitch that I was, I placed myself in front of Matsuno, cutting off Shizuka's confession and personally giving Matsuno the little chocolate bar that I had in my steady hands.

I didn't say anything, just handed him the chocolate.

And, as I thought, it was enough.

Matsuno's eyes widened, brightened, and then he went red.

My gosh, did he really like me so much? My inside warmed and I wanted to walk closer to him. But I didn't need to, because he was the one who lessened our gap and held me in his arms. He embraced me. And I let him.

So, what now?