X

"I-I have to go." I clutched my phone so tight I thought it would break. "Family emergency," I lied to Chifuyu.

He looked disappointed that we had to end our special date but he nodded and assured me that it was fine. "I don't have my bike with me, but do you want me to walk you home?"

"No thanks. I'm not going home." Taiju ordered me to meet him in a restaurant he always frequented.

"Will you be fine by yourself?"

"Yes," I replied and after a few steps, I heard him call my fake name again. I stopped and faced him.

He said, "Let's do this again! A date! Okay?"

I smiled, my heart full. "Yes."

I sprinted, half because of joy, half because I feared Chifuyu would follow me and find me with the Black Dragon's leader. Looking back, I made sure Chifuyu didn't see me as I entered the Italian restaurant.

Taiju was seated in a corner, a plate of pasta in front of him. He was the only customer and there were no waiters or cashiers present. The place smelled like tomatoes and garlic. I didn't like it. The large boy gestured for me to sit across from him. "Do you want some? It's Penne Arrabiata."

I shook my head. "Why did you call me here, Taiju?"

He opened his arms and put them on top of the backrest of the long sofa where he was sitting, flexing his well-toned muscles. He was a good fighter but between us, two, I was the better killer. Still, he looked so comfortable and so confident that I fidgeted inside.

Did he... know about Chifuyu?

"I'm sorry for ruining your lovely Saturday morning." His words were teasing as he glanced at my ring finger. "Pretty piece of wooden accessory there. Take care of it."

I stopped myself from shielding my ring away from my Boss' gaze. It was alright. There was no way he would know. "Let's just get down to business," I told him. I wanted to end this meeting, go back home, and contact Chifuyu.

"There's no business," he replied as he continued eating his pasta. "Can't we just get together and talk?"

"It's never just get together and talk with you, Taiju."

He grinned wildly and I glimpsed the animal he was inside. Taiju dropped the fork and focused on me. "Tell me about your missions."

"My missions? Well, they're all mission accomplished."

"Report them in detail." He drank water from a glass and put it back on the table.

I straightened as I sat and told him from memory what I had done the past few days, leaving the fact that I was now uncomfortable in killing my targets. I remembered realizing how I loved the light more than the darkness. I wanted out of the cycle of death that I spiraled into. I could do it. I could stop myself from killing. First, I needed to talk to Taiju. Whatever I owed him, I would give them back.

But... was that really possible?

Would Black Dragon really release me so easily?

I sank into my seat. No, that was impossible. But I could try, right?

"Taiju--" I was about to tell him my thoughts.

"See! Told ya!" That female voice....

I swung to my right and saw Chifuyu with the girl named Shizuka. Instantly, I rose from my seat. "Chifuyu!"

"Surprised, huh." Shizuka wound her arms around Chifuyu's but the boy instantly took away his arm from her. The girl pouted and then started accusing me, "You cheater! You left Chifuyu alone while you're in a fancy restaurant clearly flirting!"