Chapter 22

(A/N Notes: I am a simple man with simple ideas and simple desires)

"..."

Lysette stood silently as she looked at her surroundings, all around her she could feel the gazes of the guests going toward her, some showed surprise, others showed shock, but all of them showed fear. But she was used to it, before she got engaged it was common for small children to cry at seeing her and for other nobles to cower in fear of her position and rumors of her unparalleled talent in magic, however, such gazes still weighed on her.

Especially so, as she began to imagine Edward being amongst such fearful eyes, he was the only person she couldn't endure such a gaze from, he was too important for her, and just the thought of Edward fearing her was enough to cause her to feel something dark surging through her heart. But before such feeling could even take hold of her, Lysette was embraced...

"Eh!?... ... ... Huh?"

But such a romantic embrace was quickly ruined, by the person hugging her, worriedly touching her back, shoulders, arms, and even head, as if he was searching for injuries on her, and seeing that she had no visible injuries or appeared to be hurt anywhere, Edward sighed in relief as he properly hugged her this time.

"Whew! Thank god, you're fine, Lysette-sama..."

"E-Erm?... Hmm?... Y-Yesh..."

Suddenly receiving another hug, and a more gentle one this time, Lysette couldn't help but start blushing and feel like crying from the relief of seeing Edward this worried about her well-being. And in the heat of the moment, she hugged him back and rested her chin on his shoulder as she felt her tension disappearing from inside her.

Around them, the silence slowly began to change to murmurs about all of the events that happened in such a short time, a show that things were returning to their previous excitement. And feeling that everyone's gazes were moving away from her, Lysette decided to speak.

"Edward-sama, shall we go back to our table"

"*Nods* Of course, Lysette-sama"

With a happy smile at seeing Edward talking and looking at her in the same manner as he always did, Lysette hugged his arm in a bright mood as they returned to the table reserved for them. But in doing so, they both saw, Nanako making a melancholic face as she appeared to be regretting something.

"Nanako..."

"! Ah! W-Welcome back, E-Edward-sama... Lysette-sama..."

Not noticing their arrival, Nanako nervously greeted them back as she forced herself to show a smile. But the two easily saw through her newcomer facade.

"Nanako, is something wrong?"

"N-No..."

"... If you don't want to talk about it now, I'll respect your decision. But if you ever feel like talking about it later, I'll hear your worries with open arms, Nanako"

"... *Timidly nods*"

"And if you feel too embarrassed to talk about it with Edward-sama, you can always come to me, Nanako-san"

"Y-Yes..."

The two decided to not pry any further into what Nanako was concerning herself about, but the two, especially Edward, still felt worried about it. As he thought of what to do to improve her mood, Edward noticed that the music that had stopped due to the events from earlier, was returning, and the melody being played was the one used to remind the guests that the next ones were to be dance at their tune.

Remembering that Lysette had allowed him to use the time of the celebration to stay with Nanako, he came up with an idea to make Nanako forget about her worries, at least for the time being. Getting up from his seat, he turned and offered his hand to Nanako again.