Chapter 12

(A/N Notes: I said had a draft ready, and although I wanted to write chapters for the other stories, I didn't have time to write them.

In any case, Happy New Year to everyone, even though it's still December 30)

Away from the bustling and merry party hall, where all the other guests were socializing, inside a very luxurious living room, a boy and a girl stood in front of each other at a respectable distance. The boy had a bored expression, almost as if he was only sent there because he was ordered so, the girl on the other hand, kept a friendly smile, without any other signs that she had ulterior motives.

"... Your Highness Ludovic, It is a pleasure to meet you again this night"

"..."

The crown prince remained silent at Lysette's greetings as if he found the action of greeting her back to be a waste of time. Lysette, in turn also turned silent, but that was so that she could hold herself back from committing lese-majeste. With deep breaths to calm her nerves, Lysette skillfully maintained her friendly poker face, as she once again tried to open up with the prince with a small talk

"You highness, I was asked to come here today, to help foster the friendship between our families, I do not wish for anything more with you, aside from a healthy and friendly relationship"

"... ... ... Very well then, let us get this over with already. Please have a seat"

"..."

Once again Lysette took deep breaths to keep herself calm at the prince's rude responses to her attempts to talk with him, but still doing as she was taught, she maintained a friendly expression while doing as the prince said and gestured for her to sit down at one of the sofas, but small twitches could be seen on her smile.

When they had both sat down, the neatly organized chess board stood atop the table in between them. They both were told what they were supposed to do, and for what, but as it was clear by now, the prince had no intentions of putting effort into befriending someone that he saw as just like everyone else.

"... Since the white piece is on my side, I will be picking the first move"

"Understood, Your Highness. I hope you enjoy this match against me"

"..."

The prince once again showed no change in his expressionless face and simply moved his pawn in a very standard opening move. That was then followed by Lysette making her own move, which was a very unorthodox one.

"..."

The prince remained silent at her unexpected choice, but he remained calm and kept on thinking of various ways of responding to all of Lysette's moves. One by one the pieces were taken by the other, and after a few minutes...

"Checkmate"

"... I thought I could win this match, but you proved to be a better player, Your Highness"

"You showed some unorthodox responses to my moves, but you could not hide your plans"

"!"

Seeing the prince's rather respectable answer, made Lysette feel like she was managing to open the prince even if a little, just so that they could have a friendly relationship.

"I understand, then shall we have another match, Your Highness? This time, I will make sure to win"

"... *Sigh* Do not get ahead of yourself, just because I praised your skills"

"... Eh?"

"There is no point in having a second match because the end result will be the exact same. I do not have interest in people who only try to entertain me with the sole intention of getting close to me due to my position and looks, nor do I have interest in people who get easily enamored by a few praising words about their skills"