Chapter nine

"What would you like for breakfast this morning." Haze asked the question, opening the fridge.

"Strawberries and pancakes please." 15 weeks into her pregnancy and Emily had an obsession for strawberries.
Emily had found that Alpha pregnancies lasted longer than normal wolf pregnancies. This she was not impressed with.

"Can you not be an Alpha then." She had grumpily retorted to her mate. "I though the perks of being a wolf was that our pregnancies lasted less than humans. But here I am, carrying for 9 months anyways." Typically, wold pregnancies lasted 7 months, as pups grew faster than human children. Pups with Alpha blood, however, required extra time to cook.

Haze placed his mates pancakes on a plate infront of her, adding the bottle of chocolate sauce and a fork also infront of her.

"I love you." Emily smiled, clearly talking to the pancakes. From the corner of her eye she could see him smiling at her, suppressing his chuckle. "I love you too."

They both laughed. Emily felt complete in this moment. Her mate and her baby; her pancakes included.

The two decided on a walk through the gardens and to the lake.

"You can shift if you want to, Haze." Emily told her mate. She could tell Damon was itching to run.

"You can't, and I'd feel bad watching you walk along side me." Haze was trying to be considerate.

"Please show me your wolf." Emily kissed his cheek. She watched as Haze shifted into his huge white wolf.
He ran laps around his mate as she walked towards the lake.

'It's only five.. ish months.' Emily told her self. 'In five months i won't have time to run. We'll have our little girl to care for.' Emily wasn't sure if that made her sad or not.

'And that's why there's two of us in this.' Haze's voice echoed in Emily's mind. 'Don't worry my love, you'll be running through the forest soon.'

Emily smiled as she sat down on the grass infront of the lake. Haze nuzzled his snout onto her lap.

'Isn't it supposed to be my job to care for the baby?' Emily laughed at her own words. She wasn't being serious, but a part of her wondered what life will be like once their daughter was born. Being an Alpha often meant travelling. Haze was supposed to lead the Moon River pack. Would he have time for them?

'Are we in the 18th century?'  Haze laughed. 'I'm going to be around, I promise you Em.'

'We have an appointment to get too.' Emily reminded her mate. 'Normallu I'd say race you there, but...' She trailed off looking down at her stomach.

'Jump on.' Emily could hear the smirk in Haze's words as he stood up on all fours. She followed suit before climbing onto her mates large back.

"We're gonna be late for the baby scan!" Emily called to her mate as he exited the bathroom.

"I'm coming. I'm coming." He shushed her. He grabbed his shoes from the rack beside the door. "Grab my car keys please."

Emily picked up the keys from her night stand. "Catch." She threw them across to Haze who caught them with one hand.
The drive to the hospital wasn't far. Haze parked next to the entrance doors and he and his mate walked through to the reception to get checked in.

"Luna, its nice to see you again." Andy smiled as she walked into the waiting area to collect the couple. "How are you feeling?"

"I didn't realise growing a baby was such a tiring job." Emily laughed. "I'm feeling good though." She lah back on the medical bed, Haze sitting beside her in the chair.
Andy squeezed the gel onto Emily's lower belly, using the hand held device to see the baby on the small screen in front of them.
Emily watched as her baby jumped slightly as the wand moved over her stomach. Haze didn't say a word. He seemed to be fixed completely on the monitor, staring in amazement and admiration. This made his mate smile, she knew he was going to love this baby so much.

"She's healthy and growing at a great pace." Andy announced. "Would you like pictures?"

"Yes please." Emily smiled. "Thank you."

Once back at the pack house, Haze went to his office, Emily following suit and making herself comfortable in the reclining chair that sat in the corner of the spacious room.
He was in the middle of solidifying an alliance between his own pack and their new neighbouring pack, the Half Blood pack. Alliances was what made packs strong - they always had a friend outside of their own walls.
Haze looked up from the documents he was reading over to see his mate had dozed off, her arms covering her barely noticeable baby bump. He smiled to himself knowing this was his family; his future was not set on protecting his mate and daughter. Nothing else in the world truly mattered.

There was a knock at the door. Emily stirred slightly but didn't wake. Haze stepped quietly to the door, opening it to find his father. He nodded his head toward Emily before stepping into the hallway and closing the door behind him.

"Make the most out of the quiet," Nathaniel smiled. "Alpha pups are fussier than the rest."

"Mum said I was an angel." Haze chuckled.

"She was most deffinetly lying." Nathaniel joined Haze in a laugh. "How are you getting along with the treaties?"

"Alpha Raymond of the Half Blood pack has sent across the documents for signing. He has sent word that his son, Kendrick, is soon to be taking over as Alpha soon. The alliance will be signed then."

"I'm proud of you son. Raymond and I didn't always see eye to eye, but you seem to have gotten somewhere with him."

"It was all Kendrick really. We met formally when I was in London - his mate is also expecting. He mentioned the territory move and wanted to make new alliances in the area."

"Well you best you finish your work." Nathaniel smiled. "I'll see you at dinner."