First Chapter

The sun’s ray crept in slothfully across the room. Devon was up all night. Dark circles started to form beneath his lower lids. He rolled back and lay down on his stomach. He buried his face in the satin sheets and tried to gain some sleep. Before he could close his eyes the alarm started to go havoc.

“Shit!” he exclaimed and immediately pounded the bedside clock.

It was 7:00 already. He jumped up and started to fix himself. It was a Saturday. The weather was nice and sunny. He took a glimpse of the clear sky through the window.

“See you later, Liam.”

He picked up his best suit and started to get dressed. Devon stood in front of the bathroom mirror. He picked up the razor and pressed the ‘start’ button. He looked back and forth at the razor on his hand and at his reflection.

“Fuck you, buddy, this is the first and the last time that I’m doing this.”

The ceremony was almost over when he arrived in the Whitmont Church. The priest was about to say his final blessing when the door opened, yielding a bald Devon donned in red suit. Almost everybody gasped at him.

He walked leisurely on the church corridor and bowed slightly when he reached the altar. The priest motioned for him to sit down but he raised his hand and craned his neck to the podium.

“May I?” he asked politely. The elderly man noticed the sadness that clouded the young man’s eyes and prodded for him to proceed. Devon smiled back at him.

He stood splendidly on the podium with head held high. He cleared his throat and adjusted the microphone to his content.

“Good morning. I am Devon Wazowski, Liam’s best friend. If you are wondering why I came late, clad in green and bald…well, we had this sort of agreement, Liam and I, when he was still living. Whoever dies first, the other must wear green and go bald and late to the funeral of the demise.”

Fate seemed to toy with Devon’s feelings. He was the last one to throw the rose to Liam’s grave when the sky started to growl. Giant raindrops fell down one by one in increasing velocity and the crowd hastily sought for shelter. But Devon didn’t move from his spot. He let the rain wash his sorrow away.

“Well, well, buddy. Look how the rain cried on your funeral. I’ll miss you.” He kissed the rose and threw it down the hole. He stood there for a couple of hours and waited until the pit was completely sealed and covered.

It rained non-stop that day. Liam’s parents offered him a ride home but Devon politely refused. He decided to slowly walk away so he could give his best friend a long, nice cheerio. They used to walk home together since they were kids, both reluctant to go home. Hence, they ended up walking leisurely until dark.

Devon couldn’t deny that he missed Liam more than anything in the world. He was the only brother he’d ever know. He was the only one who didn’t give up on him, unlike his father.

He pondered on Liam’s death. The man was devoured with his own despair and shot himself to death. He didn’t left a suicide note so the reason for his demise was unknown to everyone except for Devon. It was ‘cause of Missy. He didn’t give a damn to the woman in question until now. He deeply rooted his anger for her. He could never possibly forgive the likes of her.

Devon was soaking wet when he finally got on the bus. He sat on the backseat and carelessly avoided the curious glares that his fellow passengers threw at him. He leaned his head against the window and looked through.

“Mind, if I sit next to you?” a woman’s voice penetrated his thoughts. He looked up and nodded. He barely saw her face. He was too occupied to care for anything at the moment.